online thermostats controllable via the web /alarm for any outages ?

Old 06-13-16, 07:59 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
online thermostats controllable via the web /alarm for any outages ?

Hi,

I'd like to inquire about an online thermostat that i can control thru the internet, via an iOS app. I'm going to install some wood flooring at my mothers place, who's only seasonal. I want to avoid the AC breaking down while she's not there, and the floor buckling. If the AC breaks down today, and she's not there, for 3months, that would be enough to kill the floor !

I know there's a bunch of thermostats that allow you to control your thermostat, via your phone, while your on the same network, via wifi, but what about one that's configurable to work outside a local area network. Bit like a network camera as an example.. Also, it needs to be able to alert me, if it rises above a certain temp, thus allowing me to take action to get the unit repaired and not sit there allowing temps & humidity to sky rocket enough to kill a hardwood floor !

Anyone have any experience of these ?

Old 06-13-16, 09:00 AM
F
I have a Honeywell thermostat that does all you're asking. While the thermostat itself connects to the network via local IP address, you can still control the thermostat from anywhere. I have an app on my phone, I can log into a website...and control all the aspects of my home's HVAC from anywhere that has internet connectivity.

I can even configure it to send me alerts if the house reaches a certain temperature, can configure daily schedules, etc, etc etc.

Honeywell, Nest, and I'm sure several others all make something that does exactly what you want.

Old 06-13-16, 09:16 AM
A
Received 49 Votes on 44 Posts
As long as you pay for Internet for those three months almost all of the wifi thermostats will work.

I would stay away from Nest for this application as it has a history of having problems for some people - becoming unresponsive so you would have to physically reset it.

Old 06-13-16, 12:58 PM
T
great thanks, i'll check out the honeywell thermostats

Old 06-13-16, 05:40 PM
Received 89 Votes on 84 Posts
I have the Honeywell RTH 9580 in my condo in FL. a bit pricey but it will also give you a humidity readings,check on eBay I bought 3 on there and never had a problem,be aware that these stats will require 24 VAC to operate,and you must have minimal Internet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: