Outside Carrier unit not running

Old 06-15-16, 09:11 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outside Carrier unit not running

I am new to this site and just need help. I have an appt.tomorrow with an HVAC company but our air is now completely out. The inside unit is running, no circuit breakers are tripped, but the thermostat is not going down or up in temp. It's stuck at a lovely 84 degrees! I went outside and noticed that the outside unit isn't working at all now. For the past few weeks the front two rooms of my house have been at least 10 degrees hotter than the rest of the house. Over the last day or two the thermostat went from working to not changing temps at all. But there was still a little air flow coming out of the vents. The outside unit was blowing cool air along with not producing any condensation/water coming out of the pipe. As of tonight we now have no air. The outside unit isn't working at all. The model number is a Carrier 25HBB3/25HBC(3,5) I think, thats the number on the front of one of the pamphlets left.

Old 06-15-16, 09:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That looks to be a Carrier heat pump.... is that correct ?
How old is it ?

The thermostat doesn't know what other rooms in the house are like. The thermostat reads the temperature where it's mounted. When the temp goes over the set point.... the inside blower comes on and a few minutes later the outside condensor comes on. The thermostat is just a switch.... it turns things on and off.

If your outside unit is not working there are many things that can keep it from turning on.
Loss of 240vac to the condensor
Low on refrigerant
Defective contactor
Problem thermosat.
Problem wiring.
Too much water in condensation drip pan keeping the condensor from running.

Old 06-17-16, 02:09 PM
V
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A/C doesn't work new capacitor

Hello, my a/c unit is not working even after I have changed the cap. It clearly needed to be it was swollen on top and bottom went to grainger got a replacement installed it and all the unit does is have a very faint humming sound coming from it. Nothing is coming on, the thermostat will trip and the indide fan is on but its room temp air. Any thoughts I need help single mom doing it by myself. I understand most of the HVAC lingo.
Vicki

Old 06-17-16, 08:06 PM
C
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
When T-stat calls for cool, does the contactor pulls in ? or simply push the contactor button down and see if that starts the condenser ?

Old 06-17-16, 08:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
The compressor often gets very hot and shuts off on thermal protection when the run cap fails.
If the fan runs but not the compressor it might point to this.

Some air conditioners have a reset button on the high pressure switch.
If nothing outside runs I would look for a reset button.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: