Plug and Play Mini Splits- experiences?

Old 06-22-16, 09:27 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Plug and Play Mini Splits- experiences?

I am an avid do it yourselfer with a large skill set. I do all my own plumbing, electrical, etc.
I have found a number of low-priced mini split units which include line sets that claim not to require professional installation. Has anyone had any experience- good or bad- with any of these? I am currently focusing on Pioneer and Climate-Right. The latter has a video which makes installation look very easy. Thanks very much for your help. Frank.

Last edited by Frank1492; 06-22-16 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Mistake in Brand Name
Old 06-22-16, 12:14 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Theoretically you can do it without any specialized tools or training but the reality is that while you do not need a license/permit to work with R-410a you are still bound by the laws that prohibit the release of any refrigerant to the atmosphere.

Without a nitrogen pressure test you cannot be certain the flare nuts are tight. Without a vacuum test you cannot be sure that all the moisture has been removed.

I usually tell people that you CAN do everything BUT release the refrigerant to the system, for that you really need a competent A/C technician. This is especially true if you have changed the length of the lineset to anything other than what was intended for the unit from the factory.

Old 06-25-16, 09:46 AM
W
Debating of installing a multi zone unit on my house.
As mentioned,the refrigerant must be tested by a licensed tech.
I have no experience using these,but they have great reviews,and imo are an equivalent to a tankless water heater,especially with a multizone unit.
My ducting is in the attic,although heavily insulated,still the attic heat gets to it,in which mini splits dont have that problem. Plus the compressor and fans are much quieter and smaller as well .
Only problem I see,is of course the expense compared to conventional units,which is not that much more,none the less still higher in initial cost. For a Diy like ourselves,I would say go for it.
Guess I should take my own advice huh.

Old 06-25-16, 10:18 AM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
There are models on the market claim they are DIY units, no AC tech is needed. I have never done one, but if they say so (these are big firms), that must be true.

Old 07-06-16, 02:10 PM
F
I was just told by a local dealer that the Haier units are plug and play, but I doubt it from the literature. They do not say anything about the line sets being precharged with this being essential to avoid having to call in a professional, as I understand it. What I would really like to see is an exhaustive list of true plug and play products. If the literature doesn't blow about it, chances are it isn't.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: