Started with Blocked Coils

Old 06-25-16, 07:06 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Started with Blocked Coils

I have a question,
my ac quit the other day, come to find,the outdoor unit had a bunch of of fur on the condenser coils. I didn't realize my dog sheds that much . Any who, I clean up the coils,vacuum,blow,rinse with dish soap,turned it back on. Worked great for two days.
Come to find on the second breakdown,one of the contactor wires was burned badly and the insulation was melted,as the wire came off. I connected the wire not realizing the insulation had melted,turned back on,as I was putting back the cover,I hear a pop and that's it,turns off. The ground wire was also damaged. I cut the wires down ,strip the melted insulation,buy a new contactor and transformer as the old transformer was really really hot,too hot to hold.Connect everything expecting it to turn back on,nothing. Just the contactor being pushed in,but not starting up. Last resort is the capacitor,in which it tested fine with a meter,but Im getting one anyways. If that doesn't work, I don't know what will . I'm hoping the blocked coils didn't run the compressor to death. The indoor blower will run with the thermostat set btw, and the transformer is not hot like the old one.
Thanks in advance,

Old 06-25-16, 07:48 AM
Received 79 Upvotes on 69 Posts
When the contactor pulls in (I gather from what you wrote that the new contactor is pulling in), it sends 240VAC to both the compressor and the condenser fan. If neither is coming on, you're probably missing the 240VAC at the outside unit. There should be an electrical disconnect outside near the condenser/compressor unit. Some of them have fuses, others don't. Check for a blown fuse if one is present. Also, check the circuit breakers inside to make sure the one for the A/C didn't trip. I suspect you'll find one or the other to be the problem. It's very easy to check out if you have a multimeter. Just be very careful working around 240VAC, it's lethal.

Old 06-25-16, 08:36 AM
W
My god I feel like an idiot. I swear I looked at the breaker when I closed it up yesterday and started the unit. man ol man. Had a long day I suppose. lol.You are a lifesaver btw. I thank you for the help. Could have had the damn unit running since yesterday,shame on me.
Also, the outside disconnect does not have a fuse,suppose I should out one in.
Thanks again!
Another question,do you suppose I should have the pressure tested and filled if necessary? It is a 6 year old unit,without that ever being done.

Old 06-25-16, 09:14 AM
Received 79 Upvotes on 69 Posts
Most outdoor electrical disconnects don't have fuses (mine doesn't). The reason I mentioned it is that a few do. As long as the line is protected somewhere (circuit breaker in electrical panel), there's no need to add additional fuses. If the A/C is cooling normally, there's no reason to pay to have the pressures checked. Every time the gauges are connected, a little refrigerant is lost, so you don't want to have the gauges connected unless there's a reason. FWIW, my A/C unit is 24 years old and has never had the pressures checked and it's still running.

Old 06-25-16, 10:49 AM
W
Sounds good. A few guys told me that as well. I just recall a while ago,I had a cap loose on the one of the ports,it was icing up and not cooling. I just tightened the cap and no problems since. I am just worried that the unit is not cooling to it's max potential .

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: