Repeated hard start unit failure?

Old 07-06-16, 07:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Repeated hard start unit failure?

Trane Model 2TTB3042 installed in new home in 2006. In July 2013 local repairman replaced the hard start kit and capacitor since compressor wouldn't start.
In August 2015 same problem and hard start kit again replaced.
Now in July 2016, same problem. Waiting on repairman.

Is it really possible that the hard start kit can fail repeatedly? What can be done to eliminate this kind of "failure"?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-16, 09:24 AM
update

Serviceman replaced capacitor ($200). Hard Start unit OK. Said system is now low on Freon. Was fine last August. Freon add will be $75. At the moment cooling without add.
If I have to replace evaporator & condenser, Freon F22 must be replaced with 410.
Have already spent close to $1000 over the last three years.
What do experts recommend?

Old 07-06-16, 10:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
I recommend using a factory start kit. I have seen hundreds of kick start and 521 universal start kits fail in less than 2 years.

2006 isn't old. An electronic leak search would point to which component is leaking.

If it is the bottom of aluminum spine fin coil to the left of the control panel and your warranty is expired you should consider replacing the condenser and evaporator coil.

If it is only the evaporator coil leaking then I would replace the evaporator coil and keep the condenser (if the condenser coil and rotolock connectors look okay).

If something has rubbed a leak on a pipe I would have the leak repaired.

Old 07-09-16, 02:50 AM
update

Houston204 : Tnx for suggestions.
Serviceman said as unit gets older, expect more frequent hard start kit failures and he
added one pound of R22. Could my system fully charged hold around 8 lbs?
Said a leak test will cost $125. (I assume the leak test procedure will find the leak!)
From what I have been reading, availability of R22 will disappear in just 4 years and parts will be hard to find. So the question will be : How much of a system repair cost should I consider versus buying a new system?

Old 07-09-16, 06:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
There must be millions of R22 units in Texas. A suitable substitute for R22 will be available when R22 is phased out. Alternates are already available.

It sounds like you want a new system.

You have a 13 SEER condenser now. If you increase this to a 16 SEER or higher the energy savings might help offset the price.