Attic A/C air handler leaking

Old 07-12-16, 05:07 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Attic A/C air handler leaking

Hey guys,

First time poster so please be gentle.

My Goodman attic horizontal Air Handler is leaking into the Secondary Pan. I popped the service panel off last week and the internal Pan is dry. Its like no water is making it to the primary panel to drain into the guest bathroom sink outlet downstairs. I checked both the secondary and primary lines and they are both clear.

The water seems to be leaking towards the back panel where the duct comes out, where the rear panel meets the main box. I wonder if a seal, gasket or something else failed and now its just leaking like a sieve.

I tried to patch with a 1/2 gallon of mastic and a full roll of peel and seal on that back panel and onto the main panel hoping to make a seal so the water would run into the primary pan inside.. But like water is apt to do, its found multiple ways out and i'm back to leaking again.

I'm open to suggestions. I havent had the rear panel off to take a look at the coils. Maybe there's a problem there.

I'm desperate and its 100+ in Dallas these days.

Shane

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-16, 06:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
Air handlers require an external P-trap to drain.
If a clean out T is in the drain line between the trap and the air handler it should be capped (but not glued).

Does your air handler have a p-trap?

Old 07-12-16, 07:00 PM
S
Yes sir. It has a P Trap and its all clear. again, the primary pan is dry. I dont know what else to look at besides backing that rear panel off and checking the coils and the gaskets keeping the panel to the main box.

Sound reasonable or am i missing something?

Old 07-12-16, 07:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,045 Votes on 969 Posts
Have you checked the filter ?

A dirty filter can cause a suction and condensation can travel to places where it shouldn't go.

Old 07-12-16, 07:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would measure the temperature drop across the indoor unit.
A low drop could indicate lack of refrigerant. As condensation drains down the evaporator coil and hits warm spots due to lack of refrigerant the condensation will fly off of the coil and miss the pan.

an example...

Old 07-12-16, 07:13 PM
S
Which filter? The normal AC filters in the ducts? I switched them out last week.

And the outside condenser units have been cleaned. The AC is blowing cold just leaking like crazy from the unit itself.

Old 07-12-16, 07:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have also seen many plastic pans crack and many metal pans rust enough to leak.

A reversed slope is also a possible cause. Placing a level on the unit would help in checking slope.

Old 07-12-16, 07:35 PM
S
I just replaced my rusted metal pan with a plastic new one. It was in awful shape. Now the plastic pan is as full, if not more than the metal.

I just went up and checked it and now the water is leaking underneath the unit thru one of the hex screws. Seems its getting worse. And coming faster.

here are some pics.Name:  20160712_212106.jpg
Views: 1072
Size:  29.6 KB
Name:  20160712_212121.jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  28.4 KB

Old 07-12-16, 07:38 PM
S
the first image is a side view of the unit and obviously i have patched the hell out of to no avail.

the second image is looking down at the P trap - all seems clear but the water is now dripping really fast into the plastic black pan thru an actual hex screw behind the trap.

This is awful right?

Old 07-12-16, 09:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The open T between the P trap and the air handler should be capped or air will be pulled in and prevent drainage. (Much like a straw)

The problem with hard casting the door shut is that it makes servicing the unit difficult.

I would poor water in the primary pan to see if it drains without the blower running.

Old 07-15-16, 10:13 AM
S
So I opened up the back panel and it's rusted like crazy. I poured a little water on the dry interior pan and it's leaking thru and running out of the unit. It seems like the interior pan has a breach somewhere. Is this fixable?

Old 07-15-16, 11:06 AM
S
Name:  20160715_120635.jpg
Views: 1503
Size:  33.7 KB

Name:  20160715_124809.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  30.2 KB

Here some pics. That corner is rusted all to hell. My guess is there's a breach in this corner of the pan.

From the inside of the unit, is it feasible to seal the inside with silicone or something?

Old 07-15-16, 10:40 PM
Group Moderator
is it feasible to seal the inside with silicone or something?
Buy that spray they show on TV that seals anything. (available at walmart)

you tube/watch?v=ofMwxrWDUmQ

Old 07-20-16, 07:57 PM
S
Well i'm still at it. Took the back plenum off as well as the side access panel. I've emptied 2 tubes of silicone from the inside into the corners of the unit and from the outside. I'm gonna wait a couple days for that to cure.

If that doesn't work and she still leaks, i'll attempt to pull the inside pan out to check for more places to seal.

This is an awful job and I love all you AC repair folks a little more now.

Old 07-22-16, 04:32 PM
S
I FOUND IT!!!!

Turns out there was a hair line crack in the pan that ran about 4 inches that actually made its way into the plastic threads of the drain pipes.

I'm siliconing around all that now but hope to replace the pan in the coming Fall when the Texas heat dissipates a little.

Question: how hard is it to replace a pan like this? Is it unscrew, slide out, slide in and screw in kind of easy?

Its a Goodman ARUF364216AA. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 07-22-16, 06:59 PM
Group Moderator
You're talking about replacing the pan inside the air handler ?

That can be real dog. Usually you need to lift the unit, besides taking it all apart... to get the pan out. You may need to suspend it from the roof rafters.