Dog chewed on A/C condensor wires

Old 07-13-16, 10:00 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dog chewed on A/C condensor wires

Hey, I'm new here to the forums, had a question about my ac unit. I'm fairly handy at electrical stuff so I'll explain this the best I can.

So we have a conduit with a bunch of wires which wasnt touched and still fine. And we have 2 copper pipes wrapped in foam (big one for suction and a small for discharge I believe), that foam was ripped up and chewed on by our dog. In that foam their is also a brown 18:2 wire which I have just repaired, in the brown wire has a red and white wire which I spliced and repaired (im sure I did it correctly). So after that our ac system is still not working.

So this is what I think I've found, if I'm wrong please correct me. Those red and white wires I spliced were for the thermostat. But after repairing the wires I'm not sure what's left to look at, I've read it could be a fuse or transformer could have been messed up. I looked at the air handler and didn't see any led on or flashing. Any information will greatly help! Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-16, 10:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,051 Votes on 975 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

If your system was running and calling for cooling...... when the red and white wires touched it created a dead short and either blew a protection fuse or the 24v transformer.

Since my crystal ball isn't working tonight you'll need to post the make and model of the air handler/furnace or the part number off the control board.

Most furnaces have a control board with a fuse on it.
Most A/C air handlers don't.

Old 07-14-16, 09:35 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I do have a furnace and I can see the board in there I just have to open it up. Still learning ac systems. Where do I grab the model number from?

Old 07-14-16, 10:28 AM
Received 26 Votes on 21 Posts
There should be a metal plate or sticker with the furnace information (Make/Model/BTU, etc.) located somewhere inside the furnace, usually near the burners. Do you see anything that looks like a fuse on the control board inside the furnace? If so, check the fuse with an ohmmeter (or replace it if you're not sure if it's blown). Hopefully, your problem is as simple as a blown fuse.