ptac Ice-Cap unit is short cycling?

Old 07-26-16, 03:19 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ptac Ice-Cap unit is short cycling?

I have an Ice-Cap unit in my apartment which i believe only has cooling and not heating. I can't locate the model #. It has been in the 90s the past week. This unit only cool for about ten mintues and it turns to warm air. If i adjust the setting to fan and back to cool i can feel the cold air coming out again. Can someone tell me what is casing this. Is there a thermostat in these unit which may be cause this issue.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-16, 03:37 PM
J
Received 75 Votes on 70 Posts
The key word is apartment, why is the landlord not addressing this issue?
So far we have no model #, no location, never heard of Ice Cap brand in the US.

Old 07-26-16, 04:14 PM
Z
it's a condo so I'm responsible for it. I tried to look up the manual online but nothing came up for ICE-CAP. I found this link by ice-air which look the same. Vertical Exposed FCU – Ice Air | Innovative HVAC Solutions : Ice Air

Old 07-26-16, 04:17 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Members location is New York City. Zygote, please add your location to your profile.

Old 07-26-16, 09:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,044 Votes on 968 Posts
What you linked to was an FCU..... fan coil unit. With this type of unit.... the management supplies hot or cold water. The unit is nothing more than a coil and a fan.

Does your unit have a compressor in it ?
Does this unit protrude thru the wall to outside ?
If this only supplies cooling....where does the heat come from ?

If you google "ptac Ice-Cap" a ton of hits come up and all in NYC.

If you do have an FCU then there is a valve in it to control the flow of the chilled water via a thermostat.

We may need some pictures with the cover removed to be of more help. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 07-29-16, 08:00 AM
Z
Here are few pictures. we tried switch between cool and ven to get cold air all night, we hear the hum sound. after a while it no longer generated cool air. the unit does protrude thru wall. Google only came back with list of repair shops nothing that would help expliant what is happending. I know i'll need to get someone fix it but i would like to arm myself with as much knowlege as possbile don't like to waste money to fix/replace something that is not need.

Attached Images   
Old 07-29-16, 09:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,044 Votes on 968 Posts
Hard to tell from the picture. Does the association supply you with chilled water for cooling or is there a compressor inside the unit there ?

Since I'm not familiar at all with that company.... I can't give you help from experience which is the reason I need pictures.

From what I've been finding it may be time for a replacement.