Constant dripping pipe above bathtub causing stains

Old 07-26-16, 04:42 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Constant dripping pipe above bathtub causing stains

Hello! I recently purchased a townhouse in the Dallas, TX area. I have a pipe that drains/drips into the tub of our second bath. It has become quite annoying because it constantly drips and causes black stains in the tub where the water lands. I'm assuming this has something to do with the AC or AC component that is above the tub (above metal door pictured). Our home was built in 1997 so I think this was an old way of doing things as I'm pretty sure modern units don't use this system anymore. I've attached two pictures for reference. Any recommendations on remedying this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Name:  IMG_4857.jpg
Views: 1099
Size:  41.1 KB

Name:  IMG_4858.jpg
Views: 1148
Size:  16.5 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-16, 05:00 PM
J
Is the blower unit up there? There are usually 2 pipes running out of the unit. One is for normal condensation and the other is the emergency back up overflow. Usually the overflow is placed somewhere where it will be obvious if there is a problem. In houses it is usually placed over a window so the occupants will see it.
I could be all wrong with this. Can you look up there to get an idea what this pipe goes to? Something may be blocked....sometimes spiders build webs.

Old 07-26-16, 05:02 PM
Most likely that is the secondary pan drain line. Some of the old timers liked to put the secondary drain in a real obvious spot (most of the time outside the house like over a window) so you would notice it. The old fella that did this must have had a real sense of humor LOL. Probably just need to clear the primary drain pan line and you will be good to go.