Carrier 2000 SS compressor and fan not running... need control board?

Old 07-30-16, 11:57 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Carrier 2000 SS compressor and fan not running... need control board?

Our AC went out and when I opened up the outside unit the contactor was burned out:

So I got a new one of those and installed and started it up... still nothing... the contactor was not closing and start the unit. It seems to try a couple time, with a click and spark.

Then I noticed the center capacitor on the circuit board (main control board?) was blown (I think it was already blow before I swapped out the contactor):

What is the name of that circuit board, I can not find a part like it online? Is it the Control Board, Main Control Board, Motor Control board? Is it possible to get a new one? Or should I try to just get a new capacitor and solder it on?

The board seems to control the contactor contacts being closed.

I don't know much about this stuff... just trying to figure it out and get my ac back.

Any help woudl be appreciated!

Thanks,
Dave

Old 07-30-16, 12:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That is called a TDM or time delay module. It stops the 24vac from getting to the compressor for 5 minutes when the condensor is powered. This keeps the compressor from short cycling.

Do this.... turn the stat off. Disconnect power to condensor.

Disconnect the yellow and purple from the board and connect together. You can slide the terminals so they slide together and then tape them.

Turn power back on.
Most thermostat have a delay built into them. You can test that by going inside and setting the stat to cool. If it takes several minutes to turn the condensor on then it is delayed and your system can be run like that.

Ultimately you'd want to replace the TDM.

Old 07-30-16, 01:21 PM
D
Thanks!

Our thermostat does have a delay, I notice that today when trying the first fix. I connected the wires as you said.

Question, when you say " slide the terminals so they slide together and then tape them" you mean the terminals in the contactor, right?

Thanks

Old 07-30-16, 01:31 PM
Received 79 Upvotes on 69 Posts
No, Pete means to connect the yellow and purple wire terminals from the TDM together after removing them from the circuit board. Take a small piece of thin scrap metal, cut it so that the width will fit within the terminals of the two wires and plug the wires onto each end of the metal strip you just created. After plugging the wires onto each end of the strip, wrap everything in electrical tape so that it won't touch any other metal.

Old 07-30-16, 02:41 PM
D
Oh, duh... now I get it.

OK, did it and the house is cooling!

Excellent, thanks guys!!!

Old 07-30-16, 02:45 PM
D
I found this piece, close but not exact...
Carrier Air Conditioner Relay Board HN67ZZ001
RepairClinic Item #2381571 | Carrier OEM Part #HN67ZZ001
$43.15
Relay Board HN67ZZ001 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Is it close enough?

OR, could I just use one of these:
Carrier P284-2391 - Aftermarket Replacement Adjustable Time Delay - Delay on Make - 6 sec to 8 min
Packard $9.50
Link: https://amzn.com/B00SXB5F9Y

Thanks.

Old 07-30-16, 02:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
I don't even use a piece of metal. I slide the two crimps together and tape them. Sometimes you have to squeeze the slide part a bit so they fit tight.

Name:  577821.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  5.1 KB

One has a relay.... one doesn't. Basically any delay will work. Most are only two wires and you will not use the black wire on it.

Old 07-30-16, 08:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
That 10 dollar time delay relay is fine but get the delay on break instead of the delay on make. I saw it displayed at the bottom of the page when I clicked your link.

Last edited by Houston204; 07-30-16 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-01-16, 07:11 PM
D
OK, so this one would work then, right?:
http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B004UVP90Q

So, if I use this, PJ said "One has a relay.... one doesn't." So, with this one I am not getting the "relay" part. does I need that aspect? ...does it matter at all?

Thanks!

Old 08-01-16, 07:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
I would not use a delay on make. I would use a delay on break.

I stock this one in my truck...
https://www.amazon.com/ICM-Controls-...NJHDCT1S5YV80D

With a delay on make you will notice the time delay. The timer is initiated when the stat calls for cooling.

With a delay on break it is unlikely that you would ever notice the delay. The timer is initiated when the condenser turns off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: