Blower motor buzzes doesn't start

Old 08-17-16, 07:02 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Blower motor buzzes doesn't start

First post here, this site has been a valuable resource over the years. I appreciate everyone's help!

Our indoor blower unit quit coming on, it still tries to kick on, but the motor doesn't turn, just makes a loud buzzing.

The motor was replaced 2 months ago along with the blower wheel, due to vibration (didn't know which to change, so I did them both), has worked fine since.

For the current problem, I have replaced the motor, capacitor, and a relay, picture attached, no luck. I have taken off the second electrical component (another picture attached), going to replace today. I can't see any other things I can replace.

1st relay
Name:  20160816_142637.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  28.3 KB

2nd relay
Name:  20160816_193028.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  25.1 KB
The old motor turns freely by hand, the new one does not, not sure if this is normal, or they sold me a defective one.

I'm kinda stuck, any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Old 08-17-16, 08:53 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
With the power off, it should spin freely by hand. If it doesn't, then either something is binding or the motor is defective. Make sure the blower hasn't moved on the shaft so it is binding or rubbing on something. But if the motor doesn't spin with the blower wheel off, you've got a bad one.

Old 08-17-16, 09:48 AM
J
Thanks for the reply. I decided against replacing the transformer. I figured I wouldn't have any power if it was out.

The new motor definitely has a rough spot, it's not rubbing, i tried turning the shaft before I installed it, wish I would have done that at grainger.

The thing is, the motor I took out spins fine, so I'm wondering if that's even the problem? Already have new relay and capacitor. I guess I'll just get a good motor and see if that helps.

Also, if it helps. When it is hooked up, it spins freely until power is applied, then it stops.

Last edited by Jason Dugan; 08-17-16 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Added a symtom
Old 08-17-16, 11:02 AM
J
We have air again! It was the motor, and the new motor. Basically 2 new motors shot. I got my old-old one, that I took out in May, and put it back in. Now we're back in business. Hopefully Grainger will give me my $$ back for the POS one they sold me yesterday.

Old 08-17-16, 11:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
The problem with older motors is that they may spin freely when cold but after the bearings heat up will start to bind.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: