A/C leaking water, but not sure where from

Old 08-26-16, 05:54 PM
N
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
A/C leaking water, but not sure where from

A few days ago I noticed my A/C was iced over, a blocked filter was the apparent cause, I changed the filter, let it thaw and all was good.

Today I notice water in the garage, checked the condensate pump and it's working fine. I took the cover off the main unit and noticed the drip tray was full. Used a shop vac to drain it and pulled a large chunk of dirt from the corner where the pipe is that leads to the pump.

Is it possible that the ice dislodged some built up dirt which is now blocking an internal drain preventing water from making it out via the pump fast enough? The system is cooling fine, just leaking water!

Any way I can clean the pipes if they are blocked?

Thanks.

Old 08-26-16, 05:57 PM
J
Received 108 Votes on 95 Posts
Most often it a condinsate drain line plugged up.
Modern codes can for an auto shut off if the drain pan fills up instead draining.

Old 08-26-16, 06:33 PM
N
Is it possible the PVC line that goes to the pump is blocked where it comes out of the main unit? I took the cover off and the drain pan is completely full.

Pulled a large chunk of crud from that corner, but still not running down to the pump. It must Trickle slowly down as the pump kicked on, just not flowing fast enough to stop the pan overflowing. If I pour water in through the top it flows down to the pump, so I suspect the blockage is right where the pipe comes out of the unit.

Not sure how to unblock that pipe though.

Old 08-26-16, 07:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,613 Votes on 1,485 Posts
If you can work thru the unit to get to the opening of that drain..... try a piece of wire. Sometimes with a hook on it will pull the crud out.

If you can't get to the opening then you'll need to cut the drain line, clean it out and rejoin it. It should be in 3/4" PVC which is easy to work with.

Old 08-27-16, 03:48 AM
N
Managed to fix it, by breaking it! Was trying to get the condensate line undone at the unit to clear it out but managed to break the line a few inches out.

For now water drains into a bucket, picking up supplies later to put a new line on with a memo to clean it regularly!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: