Bryant AC unit run capacitor and maybe contactor

Old 09-02-16, 06:37 AM
Bryant AC unit run capacitor and maybe contactor

Hi,
Our ac unit stopped blowing cold air last night, when I got home found compressor not working - wife had shut it off but who knows how long furnace fan ran with fan on compressor not running.

I'm moderately handy and poor so highly motivated to fix this asap - I have someone sick in the house who can't handle the AZ heat and whose medication has be kept at room temp and not refrigerated so I need to get this fixed. I live near AZ Partsmaster that should have the parts I'll need, going there when it opens this morning so I'm hoping someone can help me out.

Fan started after I poked it along - bad run capacitor, that much I've figured out. The top has a slight bulge and the motor starting with assistance...

The contactor, when I pushed in the button with power to unit, something (it or capacitor) buzzed kind of loud so I'm not sure if it's good or not, from what I remember from back in the day, it should hum, this was more of a buzz but I'm not sure. The website for AZ Partsmaster doesn't have an exact match visually (looking online anyway) so if its good I'd rather not have to monkey with it, been up all night trying to research this with little luck. However, most are pretty cheap so if it is bad, now's the time to figure it out.

So besides whether or not I need a contactor, I'm not sure where to reset the condenser. I see no button, the condenser is wrapped in nylon suit, but I can see were the plumbing goes in at the bottom and I don't see a button, well from what I can see anyway.
There is a silver 'button' hanging in among the wires but it isn't a button exactly but more like a button cell battery on one side with a plastic or rubber back, with two wires running back to the circuit board area. After further inspection, it does have a little nub on the back, is that the reset?

I'm attaching a few pics but it is still dark out here so hopefully they're ok.

outside unit is a Bryant Preferred series 167A

Thanks so much for any help!!

edit: pic of capacitor doesn't show bulge, it's slight but it is bulgy.

Name:  20160902_050330.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  28.1 KB

Name:  20160902_050244.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  33.5 KB

Name:  120160902_062330.jpg
Views: 1307
Size:  26.7 KB

Name:  120160902_062323.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  43.7 KB

Name:  20160902_055623.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  41.3 KB

Name:  120160902_062306.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  16.7 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-16, 09:24 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 206
Looks like you have a heat pump system as that appears to be a defrost board.

Regardless of the capacitor status the contactor should close when the thermostat calls for cooling.

Maybe the compressor is humming ? Capacitors don't hum.
You said the fan started when you gave it a push..... that would mean the contactor was closed.
Was it closed or not ???

Old 09-02-16, 12:52 PM
PJmax,
I have no idea if it was open or closed when I gave it a push. I know, sad but at the time I wasn't troubleshooting correctly.
After going to several stores that do not sell to public or didn't have correct parts I finally found the right capacitor and contactor. Long story, I need to get out and install parts but the supply houses that wouldn't sell to me agreed these parts should be replaced.
I'll update later.

Old 09-02-16, 02:36 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 206
Post a picture of the contactor. Post several. The pictures will help in connecting the new one.

The cap is probably needed. If the contactor is the original it could definitely use a replacement.

However, if the contactor is not closing on a call for cool you may have other problems. One distinct problem is low on refrigerant. Remember... on a call for cool.... the contactor may take up to 5 minutes to activate.

Old 09-09-16, 03:57 PM
PJmax,
Sorry it took so long to get back -
I just reconnected everything exactly the way it was, the switches connectors were identical even though the bodies were slightly different. Both are N.O.

Started right up, cooled everything down.

Next thing I'd like to do to it before next spring is clean the fins/coils really good and get someone out to check the freon and give the entire unit the once over.

Thanks for the help.