Sleeve is leaking rainwater

Old 09-24-16, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sleeve is leaking rainwater

I am replacing a through the wall AC on my sunporch. The walls are made of aluminium and insulated with Styrofoam. I've installed a new sleeve and as part of that work I had to widen the opening slightly. I've caulked numerous times but rainwater still seeps through. Any thoughts?
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-16, 11:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 337 Votes on 315 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Without seeing exactly what you've done it can be hard to offer helpful information.

Did you install the sleeve slightly pitched down towards the outside ?
Where exactly are you getting the leak ?

Old 09-24-16, 11:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 189 Votes on 178 Posts
Where is it leaking... top, sides, bottom? Is the sleeve installed level, or is it pitched to the outside slightly? And are the side vent fins beyond the wall? Pull the unit out... are the weep holes open and not plugged with dirt?

Old 09-24-16, 04:11 PM
[ATTACH=CONFIG]71247[/ATTACH]

This a picture of my sleeve.

The metal bar is attached to the top of the unit and to the wall. There is caulk along the top and bottom of the bar and on the screws. I attached the bar almost out of desperation. I assumed that water was standing where the unit met the wall then seeping through the caulk.

Attached Images  
Old 09-24-16, 04:18 PM
I should have provided more information.

Rainwater enters on top of the sleeve.

There is caulk on the outside but not the interior. I planned to add that when the leak on the outside was remedied.

There is no pitch. I assumed that either the AC unit and/or the sleeve would need to be installed with some slope. However the original sleeve was level and it didn't appear to have any leaks.

Old 09-24-16, 04:23 PM
I just replied with more information about the pitch and the location of the leak. I apologize for the lack of information.

It's interesting that you mention the weep holes. A friend mentioned that they could be the source of the problem. I just found the manual for the sun room and plan to obtain a better understanding of the underlying system. I will also check the holes as you suggested.

There aren't any side fins.

Thank you!

Old 09-24-16, 04:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 189 Votes on 178 Posts
If it comes in on top I would assume its getting in behind the top flange.

Old 09-29-16, 05:55 AM
I apologize for asking an ignorant question but which flange are you referring to?

I don't have a mental model of how water is entering the house and eventually making its way to the top of the sleeve. That is, I don't understand the "water discharge system" in my porch. I mentioned that I found the specifications for the porch and I will study them this weekend but if you can offer insights, I greatly appreciate it.

Old 09-29-16, 07:15 PM
Interestingly, I sprayed the sleeve, above the grille, with a hose and it didn't leak. I've performed this test previously and it always leaked. That certainly points to an issue outside of the caulk.

Old 12-04-16, 01:32 PM
Sleeve is leaking rainwater - resolved

Despite my last post to the contrary, the water was seeping in between the sleeve and the wall, not through any other pathways. The root problem was that I didn't have any pitch for the sleeve.

I chose not to angle it initially because the previous sleeve didn't have any noticeable pitch. I'm not sure why that installation didn't leak and mine did, but reinstalling the sleeve with a slight angle was sufficient.

This was not a big job but I sure turned it into one. I really appreciate the feedback.