Rheem furnace: blower won't stop running

Old 10-10-16, 10:23 AM
Rheem furnace: blower won't stop running

Hi DIY'ers! I've been doing everything I can to keep this 20 years old central air/ furnace unit running in our condo. The unit has a slow Freon leak and we've gotta load a pound in at the start of every summer.

This week, the blower decided it's not going to turn off anymore. It keeps running, no matter what setting the thermostat is on (Auto, On, Off, Air, Heat). The only way to turn it off is to cut the power using the switch on the side of the unit. I've read some similar threads on this site but I'm still not sure what to do next.

I pulled the green wire behind the thermostat as some have instructed and the blower continued to run, so that rules out the thermostat, right? That's leading me to believe that this might be related to a busted "blower relay" (as I've also read about).

I took the cover off of the electrical box inside the blower unit, but even using the wiring diagram on the cover, I'm unable to identify the blower relay. I've included some images below that might help you guys (or not!). I may not even be looking in the right place... Total bozo when it comes to this.

HVAC is completely foreign to me so anything you could do to help me avoid a huge repair cost would be amazing!

Name:  image1.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  51.4 KB

Name:  image2.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  50.7 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-16, 10:40 AM
Group Moderator
We need the full model number for that furnace. It'll be on an ID tag near the burner on the side wall.

That board may be a blower timer board and could be bad OR you could have an open safety sensor.

Have you tried heat..... is that working ?

Old 10-18-16, 06:26 AM
Hi, yes, I've tried it even with the heat on and the blower still does not shut off. I'll have to take a look at the furnace when I get home so I can provide the full model number.

An HVAC guy that we know had also suggested that it might be the board, but we're a little cynical because it seems like he's always pushing us to just replace the whole system (and we don't have that kind of money).

Old 10-19-16, 08:06 AM
Your HVAC guy may be right this time. Sounds like a board issue.

Old 10-19-16, 09:35 AM
Group Moderator
Since you tried the furnace and it works normally.... the problem will be the control board.