Carrier Compressor short cycling

Old 11-07-16, 06:20 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Carrier Compressor short cycling

ARI is 3657138

24ACC624A003 (outside unit)
FV4CN5002T00

Current Thermostat: TH6110D1005

System is about 2 years old. My AC guy suspects a refrigerant leak since it required a recharge about twice this year. It was not enough to detect with his 'sniffer'. At any rate, the hacks that installed the system did a horrible job and we don't know if the leak is in the coil or at a braze.

Now....Its been cool here so I havnt noticed any cooling issues, but when I was outside today on that side of the house, the unit would come on, then shut off about 10 seconds later. Then come back on a few seconds later....then off....then on. Sometimes stays on, sometimes stays off. Anyway....I cannot afford to 'fix' anything on it right now, but does this system but does anyone know what is causing this? Is it related to low charge? Should I shut the system off until spring and just use heat?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-16, 07:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 379 Votes on 356 Posts
It sure sounds like it's low on refrigerant especially with the short cycling increasing in cooler weather. Short cycling is not good for the compressor.

You asked should you shut the A/C off and just use heat ?
I don't know..... do you need cooling or heat right now ?

If a sniffer won't find the leak then you may need to temporarily remove the refrigerant and replace with nitrogen. Then you can check with the bubbles.

Old 11-08-16, 06:35 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I can do without AC for now. Its getting cool enough, this is also a small area of the house that is not used until the evening anyway. The heater is a standard heat strip, so that shouldn't run the compressor. I think I can get away until spring.

Old 11-08-16, 10:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 379 Votes on 356 Posts
If it's a standard split A/C then running just the heat strip is fine.
If this is a heat pump system then you need to run it in emergency heat to lock out the compressor.