Central A/C maintenance

Old 12-14-16, 04:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Central A/C maintenance

Can anyone provide a complete list of maintenance I should do on my 3-ton airhandler/condensing unit A/C system, besides changing the duct filters?

Should be doing something to the air handler to prevent mold? Where does chlorine bleach enter the picture?

Not something I want to pay for an annual contract to do, seeing as I'm a fairly mechanical DIY guy and all.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-16, 04:00 AM
Received 16 Votes on 16 Posts
Basic stuff, clean coils ,evaporator coil (inside),spray outside coil with the same coil cleaner and wash down with garden hose (outside unit only with hose) you can buy the cleaner at one of the big box stores,I usually do mine every 6 months or so, dilute the bleach a bit and pour a 1/2 cup or so into the pan where the drain pipe runs outside, your owners manual may also suggest other points.

Old 12-21-16, 04:50 PM
Will it void the warranty if I do it myself, as opposed to having a service contract from the installer?

Old 12-27-16, 09:20 AM
Received 16 Votes on 16 Posts
I doubt it would it would void any warranty.

Old 12-28-16, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
Household bleach is fairly corrosive and as a disinfectant you only need a small amount.
32:1 (32 water: 1 bleach) is a generally accepted dilution rate for adequate disinfection but there needs to be at least 5 minute contact time for an effective kill.
If you pour it in the pan and it runs down the drain it will serve no purpose.

What you should do is gain access to the coil and look to see if there is any dust build up on the upstream side of the coil and the drain pan.
On coils that are not maintained ths can possibly be a near solid sheet of dirt.
This type of build up can not be cleaned by anything other than with a brush and not just a quick chemical spray.

Nobody wants to pay a tech for a quick shot of chemical but a proper service is not that simple.
Whoever services your a/c needs to see the upstreamside side of the coil.

Old 01-04-17, 03:51 PM
It is not simply a case of maintenance; the entire system should be checked for a proper engineered functioning design for optimal efficiency performance; many are horribly deficient & need work...!