Water leaking into garage

Old 12-25-16, 03:42 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water leaking into garage

Hi. So I've got water leaking into my garage from a PVC pipe connected to my unit in the attic. There is another pipe that leaks outside next to the compressor I believe it's called. This one is leaking faster. In the past when it had leaked from the garage I learned to vacuum the one outside which solved the problem then but this time the outside one isn't clogged.

The one all the way down to the left goes into the garage while the closest one goes outside. I don't understand the systems so I'm not sure what the next step would be. Help? Thanks

Old 12-25-16, 04:10 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
As the air conditioner works, it removes water from the air. The primary drain for this water is the one that drains outside. If that gets clogged, the water overflows into that flat pan underneath the unit and the water drains into your garage. Seeing water draining from that overflow alerts you that there is a problem with the primary drain.

Evidently vacuuming the drain didn't clear the clog. You will likely have to remove the side panel of the unit to look for the blockage. You may have to snake the drain to clear it, or perhaps vacuuming it with shop vac from inside may do the trick. Or you could try blowing out the line with compressed air if you have access to a compressor. You may just find a bunch of crud blocking the fitting to the drain inside the unit.

One other possibility is that the unit isn't installed level so the water isn't draining properly from the main drain.

Old 12-25-16, 04:34 PM
J
Thank you. Don't know if you caught it but I mentioned that the drain outside is draining faster. So as I'm thinking here, how are both draining, the main more so, a drip/flow... I'm guessing either like you said main unit is not level (or some inner pan not on the correct angle to drop water into main drain/PVC) or it's still clogged causing main drain to internally overflow(? Is that what could be happening?).

I guess what I'm wondering is under how much main drain flow would be an indication that it's not flowing enough(from clog) to that it would start to overflow into the drain pan.

Also, I just replaced the air filter which was pretty clogged. How could this possibly effect the situation? And what is a normal amount of drainage? I'm in SWFL so it's pretty wet here. Just want to get a good idea of what's going before I start taking things apart.

Thanks

Old 12-25-16, 07:07 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
In a humid climate, the A/C can remove as much as a gallon of water per hour.

Under normal operation, all that water should drain from the main drain; the pan and other drain is only a backup system to avoid overflow into the walls or ceiling if the main drain plugs.

Can only guess whether problem is a partially plugged drain that just can't handle the volume of water, or non-level install, or something else. Just need to pull the access panels and inspect.

But from what looks like rust in the overflow pan, I'd say it's been getting wet for a while.

Old 12-25-16, 07:35 PM
J
K thanks. I'll open it up...

Old 01-22-17, 12:00 AM
J
It just needed draino put through several times. I'd collect it in a bucket outside then pour it back through it several times. Easy fix.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: