Considering a portable air/heat system, any thoughts here?

Old 12-26-16, 04:09 PM
Considering a portable air/heat system, any thoughts here?

Our heat pump that we had put in a large upstairs room, about 550 square feet has died after 20 years. It's served us well.
I'm considering replacing it with one of these portable units now like this:
Name:  air.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  15.5 KB
https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-MM1...itioner+heater
It is a bedroom now but our son is 20 and sort of in and out and probably not up there much longer as he leaves the nest.
I've never had one of these, but they seem pretty popular now for smaller areas and most get good reviews. I'm sure a central unit replacement would be better, but it's 3600.00 vs. 500 for that lil setup.
Any thoughts or experiences appreciated.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-16, 04:18 PM
Group Moderator
I've never been particularly impressed by the performance of those portable units.
You will have to try it and see if it supplies you with what you need.

Old 12-26-16, 07:05 PM
The single pipe units use a ton of energy as they put the room into negative pressure which causes large amounts of outdoor air to be sucked in.
The duel pipe is slightly better. But I've never been a fan. Expect to get maybe 3-5 years out of it until it dies.
My wife's grandparents redid their back room. I suggested a minisplit but they went to a big box store and bought a portable unit. On a 90* summer day it can maintain an empty room at around 81-84* running non stop.

Old 12-26-16, 07:05 PM
Group Moderator
I have a different brand of portable A/C / heat pump unit but I have had good luck with it. It has similar specs. I only use it for cooling but I have turned on the heat mode just for fun and it seams to work just fine above 45 degrees.

Don't be fooled by the "no bucket" claim. Unless the model you linked to is better then mine, you will have to drain the water someplace. I drilled a hole in the floor and attached a tube to a bucket in my basement.

Lastly I am happy to see you picked a duel hose model. They are much more efficient then a single hose model.