Main Line Clogged, I see water dripping from Secondary Line

Old 05-09-17, 09:11 PM
Main Line Clogged, I see water dripping from Secondary Line

Before coming here, I saw bunch of video's on youtube on how to unclog your AC drain line. Bought Wet Dry VAC and tried that method and nothing came out except small amount of water.
ALso tried Pouring bleach and warm water on pipe which is attached on HVAC unit. When I pour water on pipe, I see it is some how going back or dripping back on the PAN and only small water dripping from main line. I would say 80% water drips on PAN and 20% water slows drips in main dripping.
It looks like it is clogged near elbow. I tried Wet Dry VAC both sides.
My question is :
When we pour water or bleach from pipe, does it supposed to go only on main drain line. I will attach pictures so it is more clear.

Name:  20170509_191505_resized.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  42.2 KB

Name:  20170509_191529_resized.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  49.1 KB

Name:  20170509_200035_resized.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  47.8 KB

Name:  20170507_134351_resized.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  47.6 KB

Name:  20170507_134329_resized.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  45.5 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 05-10-17 at 10:35 AM. Reason: added space between pics
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-17, 09:14 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Pictures are very helpful. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

The one good thing about PVC pipe is that it's easy to cut and repair.

Old 05-10-17, 01:55 AM
I would say 80% water drips on PAN and 20% water slows drips in main dripping.
So you have coils inside the unit, condensation forms, water drips off the coils into the pan then drains carry the water away.

Dirt, rust, crud can collect in the pan, make it's way to the drain line and plug it up.

It looks like you have a drain from the unit, and a second drain from the plastic pan.

Despite all the miracles shown on YouTube I doubt a vacuum on the vent (assuming this is where you attached) would suck that mucky blob of crud up. Bleach will do nothing!

Assume the vertical pipe is vent line, if you pour water in that I would suspect that most will drain away as it should but some could find way back to pan but eventually drain away.

Chances are you are going to need to cut the pipes just past the connections and somewhere further down stream, remove and clean. Then you would have access to the connection at the pan. I'll bet the plug is in the trap which will be part of the pipe that you will be removing.

You can reassemble using unions so that if you ever have to repeat the job will be simple!

Old 05-10-17, 07:25 AM
I have seen these drain lines plugged so tight that I had to use a snake with a cutter on it to cut through the hard mess and clear them out.

Old 05-10-17, 10:48 AM
Group Moderator
You've got problems there.

I highlighted the secondary route in red. This is the overflow line. That's clean.

The blue line is the primary drain. You poured water down the tube which goes into the primary line. The water came out of the air handler. That tells you that the clog is not in/at the air handler but in the drain line leading away.

I lose sight of the blue line going down. That's what needs to be cleaned.
Where does the primary line go ?

Name:  ac.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  48.2 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 05-10-17 at 10:14 PM. Reason: restored pic
Old 05-10-17, 02:43 PM
PJmax,
Sorry, I am unable to see your attached photo. Can you please re attach it again ?

My Primary Line looks like it goes to Front Yard since I see small water drips from PVC pipe in front yard and I can smell bleach in water. It is town home and HVAC unit is in attic. In attic, why there is no way to go on right side where primary line is going . it looks like all access is closed.

Why it looks so complicated setup for main drain ( I see T, elbow and some exta turns ...) . Can't I make it simple ?

Old 05-10-17, 04:26 PM
Group Moderator
Sorry about that. The board has been eating my pictures lately.

Old 05-10-17, 09:51 PM
Another view :
Name:  20170510_205409_resized.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  50.1 KB
PJMAX, Red Line which you tagged, it goes 90 degree downward so that is not the main line. I see it goes downwards and extends towards my Garage side. So downwards pipe should be red and right side should be blue and that should be main line.

Can you mark where should I cut it ? Is there not any liquid which can cleanup ?

Old 05-10-17, 10:20 PM
Group Moderator
I corrected my previous picture.

So the blue line is the primary.
I put a black line where you could cut it and then possibly snake it.
Do you know where the blue line goes ?

Usually a clog will occur at a dip in the pipe or at a 90.

You asked why all the extra fittings. Those 90's in the primary line form a trap so that the water can drain. If there was no trap..... the vacuum caused by the air handler could keep the water from draining out the line. The trap keeps air from being drawn in.

Old 07-08-17, 11:56 PM
Finally, I cut existing P Trap and very strange there were no blockage. However when I poured water from top, water was coming from left side not right side so looks like P trap design issue. Looks like right side height is almost equal to the left side.

I have bought this type of ptrap and made very similar to old one
https://www.lowes.com/pd/LASCO-1-2-i...P-Trap/3370352

My only issue right now is access issue in attic. In attic there is rectungular block of studs and then there is a diagonal which prevents me to go to other side so that I can glue PVC pipe.
Any idea how to navigate in attic so that I can easily put Ptrap.

Appreciate your help.

Attached Images    
Old 07-09-17, 12:47 PM
Group Moderator
No idea how to navigate your attic.

Old 08-27-17, 12:56 PM
We were able to replace P trap with following custom made and my friend son was able to slide on other side of attic to glue all PVC pipes so all went fine.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/LASCO-1-2-i...P-Trap/3370352

SO when I pour test water from pipe, I can see water coming out from main line in my front yard so I thought issue is fixed but when I turn on AC, water is still coming out from secondary drain unit.

Can someone explain, from Air Handler, does water comes to PAN first and then from PAN it goes out using one of two outlets ( Main line and Secondary Line) or water not supposed to drip to the PAN and inside unit, it should come out main line attached but somehow somewhere inside it is clogged so it starts dripping inside PAN.

Old 08-27-17, 01:06 PM
Group Moderator
It's been a while since this thread was addressed.

With an A/C condensor..... there are two drain outlets on the side of the unit. The lower drain fitting is the primary drain. The upper outlet is the secondary connection. The water will only come out the higher secondary outlet when the lower one is clogged or blocked.

If you have a lower overflow drip pan.... it's for emergencies only and should not have any water in it.

It sounds like you haven't found the clog in the primary drain line.

Old 08-27-17, 11:06 PM
Thanks PJMax
I am confused now. Please look your modified image # 5 ( count from top and fifth image and then 8th image), initially, when I was pouring water, water was coming back and I can see water in the PAN.
Now, after we fix PTrap issue, when I pour water, water is coming out from my front yard which looks correct. Look Blue Lines.
When I run my AC, I see water dripping from Image 8 and it goes to PAN. As you can see PAN has two outlets which is shown in Image 5 so water goes out from red line ( attic garage side) which does not seems correct since my neighbours have similar homes and I don't see their water dripping from this side of home.
My Primary Line is not clogged now and working maked as Blue in your Image # 5.
When AC runs, does water supposed to drop in PAN as shown in Image 8 location or water somehow, supposed to travel towards the blue line ( PVC pipe) so looks like water is not travelling towards main drain line and it is failing in the PAN and if it falls in the PAN then it would only come out from down PVC outlet which is going towards attic garage side.
Does Air Handler have some kind of PAN inside and which supposed to connect to main line ( I didn't open inside and don't know how does it look) but inside PAN is either blocked or some other issue.
I will call some HVAC guy to take a look since it became complicated for me.
Thanks for your help PJMax.
So any idea, what could be issue ?

Old 08-28-17, 06:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The primary drain runs into the plumbing of most homes.
The most common place for this connection is under a bathroom sink that is nearest to the furnace.
The secondary drain usually stubs out over a window outside.

If the primary drain is run outside it usually terminates near the ground instead of above a window.

The Allstyle plenum coil that you have next to the Bryant furnace will have a primary drain pan in it.
The secondary pan will be below the Allstyle coil so you have two pans.

If the primary drain is clear and you still see water running from the primary drain pan into the secondary drain pan when the furnace blower is on it may be due to high static pressure.

High static may be caused by a dirty evaporator coil but it could also be the flex duct work.

Adding a trap on the primary pan secondary outlet of the evaporator coil can help resolve this issue in many cases.

Old 09-26-17, 04:05 PM
My issue was unit was not leveled. It was slighly tilted so that's why water was dropping to PAN instead of going towards primary drain line. I have done AC Tuneup and Tuneguy figured it out.