Air Conditioning Woes. Is the company doing the right thing?

Old 05-15-17, 03:34 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Air Conditioning Woes. Is the company doing the right thing?

Hi

11 months ago I had a new system put in my condo. It is central air with heat. It is a Carrier. The condenser is model CAT16NA024. The air handler model is FPMBNU024 and is noted as a Pancake Unit. It is listed at 24 BTUs and 2 Tons.

A week ago I noticed that it was blowing room temperature air into the condo. I called the company and they agreed to come out. They turned it on, checked it out and said all was fine. That same day, it did the same thing. They came out a day later, checked it out and said all was fine. That night it did the same thing. I started monitoring the air temperatures at the vent and found that over the course of an evening, it varied from 51 F to 78 F when it was not cooling. The inside air temp was set at 76 F. It gets to 81 F in here and it's not comfortable. I called and got a supervisor on the line. He sent a big dog out on Friday and he checked things out. He found that the coolant was over filled and took some out. I told him that when the air at the vent got warm, I went outside to check the fan unit and it was running, but the large copper line was not cool, it was the same temperature as the air. I did some reading and thought barring any capacitor failures, that the compressor might be a bad one and it runs intermittently. After his diagnosis, he said that I needed a compressor starter kit or something like that and he would have the office call me and set it up. Well, it's Monday afternoon and no call. I called and asked for an update and of course, no one called. Besides dropping the ball, this new unit is under warranty for parts and labor. The parts are 2 years, but labor warranty expires next month.

My questions: Is the compressor starter addition necessary and why would a new air conditioning system need one at less than a year of age?

Is this a failing compressor?

I don't want to get hit with hefty labor charges if it fails at the end of June?

Thanks for your input. I hate to be suspicious, but based on their lack of finding the problem during two visits, and failure to follow up with scheduling their recommended fix, I am. I want to make sure they are doing the right thing and not a temporary fix for a much bigger problem.

Meshak

Advice

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-17, 04:30 PM
A
Received 46 Votes on 41 Posts
Your only hope is if you get them to escalate this to Carrier themselves. You didn't need a hard start kit last year so you shouldn't need it now.

Old 05-15-17, 05:04 PM
M
Thank you for the information. I appreciate it.

Old 05-15-17, 05:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,180 Votes on 1,093 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Is the compressor starter addition necessary and why would a new air conditioning system need one at less than a year of age
It should not be needed with an under two year old unit.

I was trying to check out the condensor but that appears to be an incorrect model number.

Old 05-15-17, 06:13 PM
M
Hi Pete.

Thanks for the response. The number for the condenser that is listed on my initial proposal is CA16NA024. The number they provided for the next size up was CA16NA030. Their numbering system is consistent between the two. I found the condenser when I searched Google.

Meshak

Old 05-16-17, 05:48 AM
Received 78 Votes on 73 Posts
I don't see a need for a Hard start kit for a new unit, if unit is operating correctly the large copper tubing should be sweating bit at the condenser.
I would open a complaint with the BBB in your area, most companies don't like that, I winter in SWFL and the competition is quite stiff.
Geo

Old 05-16-17, 05:56 AM
M
I contacted Carrier, North America via email last night. I went into detail, asked questions, asked them to call me and the AC company. If I don't get a call back by noon, I'll do the BBB and Yelp. Thank you.

Old 05-16-17, 09:38 AM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You need to find out if the compressor does run intermittently, and why? Lost power to the compressor or simply a bad compressor ? Was the compressor running when the large pipe was not cold ? If you are handy, check it out yourself, if not, call them back or call someone else ? The problem is they(AC tech) has to be there to see the problem while the compressor is not running.

Old 05-16-17, 10:36 AM
M
Thanks Clocert. I don't know if it was running or not when the pipe was warm. I'm depending on these people because they installed it and for another month, my labor is covered by warranty.

I placed another phone call to Voice Mail for the supervisor at 10:30 this morning. No word yet, and no response from Carrier at this time. Taking this a day at a time. I don't want to be rude or get radical in my responses (BBB and Yelp), but if I don't hear back from them today, I'll do that and more if needed. Thank you for your response.

Meshak

Last edited by Meshak; 05-16-17 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-16-17, 01:38 PM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
OK, just wait for their call back. But again, your problem is try to get the AC tech there at the time the compressor is not running (i.e., when large pipe is warm). Otherwise, they see everything runs fine. they won't be able to do anything.