indoor air conditioning unit leaking water, NOT caused by drip pan overflow

Old 05-18-17, 06:11 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
indoor air conditioning unit leaking water, NOT caused by drip pan overflow

Just started up my Corsaire by Rheem model RCBA 4882gg21 air conditioning unit. Everything is fine for a while, but probably after about 6 hours of controlling the temperature ie turning on and turning off, the unit starts to leak at a constant drip, so much so that it starts to pool. As soon as the unit is turned off, the water immediately stops dripping.

I just changed my air filter and cleaned out the drip pan in front of where the coils are. Also, I did have a problem with the drainage pipe being clogged a few weeks ago, but I cleared that out with some white vinegar and then suctioned out the blockage, so this leak doesnt have anything to do with that.

The leak is coming from inside I guess the cooling unit. It's the unit/part with the copper coils facing me. There is minimal icing on the lower portion of the copper coils, but nothing too serious (I've seen it iced up way more than this before). The water is dripping down on my air filter from INSIDE the unit, then dripping down below my air filter where there is some padding, but the water is leaking so fast it starts to pool and it all cant be absorbed into the padding. From there it drips down an air conditioning vent into my basement and down the wall....not good!

It can't be from anything icing up inside the unit because the dripping abruptly stops once the air conditioning is turned off. Could it have to do with low refrigerant? But again, I dont think it's freezing up and dripping because the dripping stops immediately once the air conditioning unit is turned off.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-17, 06:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,194 Votes on 1,105 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The evaporator coil is always dripping water. That is normal. It's supposed to run down the coil and drip into the tray where it collects and is drained out.

Is the tray draining normally ? Many times a lack of a proper trap in the drain line will cause the water to build up in the tray due to the vacuum caused by the blower and then is released when the blower is shut off.

Old 05-18-17, 06:47 PM
A
Yes, the tray is draining normally. The water is not backing up inside the tray. The dripping water is coming from inside the unit and then dripping down on my air filter, then stops dripping immediately once the ac unit is turned off. Thank you for helping me with this.

Old 05-18-17, 06:55 PM
Group Moderator
It can also be caused by a dirty coil.
Can you see the side of the coil where the air enters it.... usually the bottom ?

Old 05-18-17, 07:25 PM
A
Are you talking about the copper coils facing me? If so, they appear clean but some are a little tarnished ie turning green. I removed my air filter and looked up to where the water seems to be leaking coming from and all i see there is a few "v" shaped panels that kind of look like radiators or something of the sort. Those seem clean as well and not dirty or tarnished. I can provide photos if that would help you.

Old 05-18-17, 09:09 PM
Group Moderator
Old 05-19-17, 06:16 AM
T
Any ice any place on the coil is always a problem.

Old 05-19-17, 09:35 AM
A
Name:  20170519_110952.jpg
Views: 2311
Size:  29.8 KB
Name:  20170519_110911.jpg
Views: 1688
Size:  41.3 KB
Name:  20170519_110840.jpg
Views: 1933
Size:  35.5 KB

The first photo is showing below where my air filter is to where the water is dripping. You can see the far back corner is still soaked from last night. It also pools up in the far back left corner, then the water runs down the duct that is pictured.

The second photo shows a close up of the coils as the air conditioner is running. You can see that the lines that i'm assuming is carrying the refrigerant is freezing and the copper coils on the far left and right side at the bottom are starting to form ice on the outside of the lines. This is after the air conditioner is on only for a few minutes. But that is as far up the unit the freezing occurs.

The third picture is one of my overall unit (sorry it got rotated on its side). Not to sound dumb but I thought maybe I had the air filter in wrong, but the arrows on the filter are pointing up.

One thing I should mention is that the two times that I have run the air conditioner and there was excessive water dripping into my basement, I believe I started the air conditioner later in the day when it was already hot outside and it seemed the air conditioner was going on and off quite often.

Another thing I should mention is that the air coming from the ducts is cool, but not cold. It seems in the past that the air was probably colder coming from the ducts.

Today I'm trying to get my condo cooled down to a reasonable temperature ie 72 degrees before it gets too hot out. I'll of course be checking it periodically to see if there is excessive water dripping into the box area below the air filter. Once my place is cooled to the desired temperature, I'll take notice of how often the unit turns on and off throughout the afternoon.

Hopefully those pictures help and give you an idea of what is going on with my unit. Any new ideas?

EDIT: It looks like some additional pictures that I thought were too large also got attached below. Of those, the first one is looking up into the unit with the air filter removed, and this seems to be where the water is leaking from. The second one is just a closeup of the coils.

Attached Images      
Old 05-20-17, 10:12 AM
A
For whatever reason, my air conditioner is now working correctly and not leaking water and is cooling my place properly. Thanks for replying to my problem and if I have any further problems, I'll be sure to update this thread.