Condensate Drain Issues - Questions

Old 05-23-17, 08:25 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Condensate Drain Issues - Questions

Developed a few condensate drain problems and after poking around - I found the primary pan in my attic air handler had two holes rotted through. The water was draining down through the holes and into the back up pan. The emergency shut off didn't activate as it had been bumped and rotated up....

I was able to scrape out / clean / vacuum the primary pan (integral to the unit - non-removable) and repair the holes with silicone & lead flashing. I then resealed the entire pan with Red Guard.

The primary pan has two male NPT fittings. The drain connects to the lower one. The PVC runs from this fitting to a T fitting (rotated 90 deg). The bottom leg extends down to a P Trap. The top leg of the T is open.
Question 1) Do I need to cap the top of the T? In other posts it is mentioned that this should be capped as if it is left open, it may prevent the water from draining properly?
Question 2) The second / upper fitting in the primary pan is open and if let that way would allow any water (in the event that the primary drain becomes clogged) to exit into the attic not the back-up pan. Can I plumb this with a loop to direct any excess / overflow to the back-up pan? Or should it be plugged?

Thanks in advance for any help & solutions.

S

Old 05-23-17, 12:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,599 Votes on 1,473 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That overflow switch won't activate unless the secondary pan overfills.

On the air handler there are two drain lines.
The bottom one is the primary drain and should have a trap in it.

The top one is the overflow and either needs an overflow switch on it or it gets run to a place where you can see the water coming out. If you let it run into the overflow pan you'd never know it was coming out. You need to know when the primary drain line is not functioning properly.

Old 05-24-17, 06:28 AM
O
Pete,
Thank you. Completely understand the emergency switch and the primary/secondary drains.
My additional questions are - on the primary drain - should the T with the open vent be located between the drain and the P trap or after the P trap?
Also with the secondary drain - since the unit is in my attic - the primary drain actually runs over to the soffit area and drains into the gutter. I really have no where to run the secondary drain where I'd get a visual on any water flow - I could duplicate the primary and run it to the gutter - should the secondary have a P trap and vent as well?
Last question is there any harm in inserting small wedges under the air handler to give the pan a positive tilt toward the drain?

Scott

Old 05-24-17, 11:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,599 Votes on 1,473 Posts
The tee is usually after the trap and acts as a vent to keep the trap from draining.
The secondary line is run so that it's easy to see when water is coming out of it.

Small wedges for leveling are ok.

Old 05-24-17, 11:52 AM
O
Thank you!
Appreciate the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: