Goodman vs Rheem ?

Old 06-15-17, 06:49 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Goodman vs Rheem ?

I nieed to replace 2 systems ( basic single stage gas split - 80%/14 SEER) in a rental property. Which brand would be most reliable and last the longest assuming competent installation and maintenance Goodman or Rheem ?

Old 06-15-17, 08:33 AM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 45 Posts
I bought a Goodman unit outside in early 2005. No issues.

In 2015, I had the entire old central heat & air, inside & outside, replace for a new, more energy efficient system. No issues. I'm happy so far with both systems.
Technically, I cant say, but as a home owner, its been my experience.

I do not remember what was there prior to 2005.

Old 06-15-17, 08:37 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Are the warranties the same? I would choose based on that. When VCRs first hit the market, I spent a lot of time on research. I bought a GE based on that & it developed a problem which no one could fix. When I taped something over a previous recording, I would see the new video but the old sound remained. I took it to some really good guys & they couldn't fix it.

My point is unless one of those brands is really bad, it's not going to matter.

Old 06-15-17, 10:16 AM
R
There were widespread evaporator coil failures Goodman units a few years ago but I don't know if that issue has been ironed out which is one of the main reasons why I am asking.

Last edited by rkpatt; 06-15-17 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-15-17, 11:29 AM
G
Here is my unbiased opinion.

I had two Goodman units installed in a home in 2005 and 2006. I'd never heard of the brand but I didn't have a lot of money to spend and the HVAC contractors I contacted had estimates that didn't come close to each other. Most of the estimates were for well known names in the HVAC community.

I did some research, then I did some more research, and then I did even more research. Eventually I opted to go with a small HVAC contractor due to cost and references from family and friends. He installed Goodman split units in the first level and second level of the home.

Over the next 10 years the Goodman units never had an issue. Also over the next 10 years I noticed that many people began replacing their old units with Goodmans.

There are stories out there about different problems reported. I'd read about those issues and wasn't sure if the issues were accurate or not. I do know that the issues reported were in parts of the country where I did not live. Therefore it could be that those units were worked harder than normal.

Where I live the summers get very hot. However the units never had a problem handling the summer heat and the house remained cool. When the winter came and temps dropped sub freezing, the units always performed quite well.

Here is the biggest factor I've found when it comes to HVAC units. It is all about the installation. If the HVAC contractor does a shoddy job of installing any unit, that unit will prematurely fail. If freon lines are not brazed properly the A/C will fail. If the A coil does not drain condensation properly, the A coil will fail. If the unit is gas fired and is not properly vented, the unit will fail. So most important is the installation. If the HVAC contractor cuts corners or rushes the job then that is typically the reason that some units get a bad name.

For what it is worth, and I don't know if this is true so please someone correct me if I'm wrong, I've heard from HVAC guys that the major components come from the same factory and then they are put into a branded unit.

Old 06-15-17, 02:48 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Run from goodman. Low end normally installed by low end guys.

Old 06-15-17, 07:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
The equipment is similar in price range. I have seen more ugly installs of Goodman equipment but I have had a Goodman furnace on my house for 13 years with no issues.

I like Rheem a little more but the quality of your installation would be more important than either brand.

If I was going to buy one or the other for my house today I would get the Rheem.
I put a Rheem on my in laws and it is a good looking unit.

Old 06-15-17, 10:31 PM
Received 45 Votes on 39 Posts
Run from goodman. Low end normally installed by low end guys.
not any lower end than the low end from lennox, carrier, trane.

and if you're in a tight budget nothing wrong with goodman. if you get a 14 seer you get the same copeland scroll compressor the other brands use and safety pressure switches, a compressor blanket.

Not bad for a budget unit and probably better than budget units from the well known brands.

high end goodman stuff is sold under the names daiken and amana and you have to check the model to make sure it's not the same budget stuf.

it's like saying ducane is low end and to run from it and buy a lennox. ducane is low end lennox stuff.

Old 06-16-17, 02:43 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Id much rather have an Ameristar than a Goodman. Much better product.

Old 06-16-17, 05:29 PM
Received 45 Votes on 39 Posts
Id much rather have an Ameristar than a Goodman. Much better product.
That chinese crap sold through trane - are you nuts?

for low end i would take goodman over most others including ameristar and ducane/air-flow/lennox. (chinese and mexican crap respectfully)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: