Swampy smell from A/C: dirty/moldy coil?

Old 06-27-17, 01:58 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Swampy smell from A/C: dirty/moldy coil?

I have a Goodman AC and the past week or so we have smelled what can be described as musty/swampy/wet dog smell from AC. Not super strong but noticeable. I read that dirty condenser coils can cause this. I have no idea how I would clean this or what to do at all. I don't even know what the coil looks like in the unit. It appears to have flat head screws that can give you access to the inside. I was also told a UV light can be installed. I really don't know what to do. Our basement also currently has a mold issue that we are in the process of addressing and I don't know if any of the air is getting into the air ducts because the slot for the filter isn't air tight and has about a quarter inch gap or so once the filter is in place.

Below is a One Drive Share of the images I took of the unit. If anyone can help I would much appreciate it.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ak828NV9lXeJgbRvQJIHvslBfp1xAQ

Last edited by ray2047; 06-27-17 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Add image.
Old 06-27-17, 04:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
The coil is between the white drain line and the two refrigerant lines. You can try removing the panel where the receptacle is mounted. The right panel is held captive by the refrigerant lines.

The side panels may also be removable.

Old 06-27-17, 06:55 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If I do manage to gain access to the coil. How exactly do you clean mold and bacterial off of it? I wouldn't want to use anything toxic that will spread through the ducts and into the air in our home. Also, when people recommend a UV light, they say that you just drill a hole and put the housing in. Where are they talking about putting this? Is it up above the panels where the start of the supply duct begins? Does the light they give off shine far down enough to kill microbes? Thank you for pin pointing where the coils are located. I am not sure about the side coming off. I would have to look. That would make things easier if it did.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: