Condensation or refrigerant leak inside central AC unit?

Old 07-06-17, 01:42 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Condensation or refrigerant leak inside central AC unit?

This morning, I leveled my 10-year old American Standard AC unit which sits outside on the ground. I had to jiggle the unit quite a bit - moved it back and forth 1 or 2" several times to get it right. A couple of hours later, I looked through the top and could see a small amount of liquid (1 or 2 tablespoons total) on the base of the compressor, on one of the lines, and on the valve at the top of the compressor.

Is it rain from last night? Condensation? Or a refrigerant leak?

I've never looked inside the unit before, so I don't know if it usually has condensation. But now, because I bumped it around a bit while inserting shims to level it, I'm concerned that I loosened the connection and the liquid might be a leak from the valve. However, I don't quite see how a leak from the valve at the top of the compressor would get on the line where it is wet.

How can I tell whether this is from a leak? Do I need to call my heating/ac service person?

Old 07-06-17, 07:15 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If it's a freeon leak, you would notice it in the temperature. If the unit is maintaining the correct temp, I wouldn't worry about it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: