New A/C Install Question and Filter Issue?

Old 07-08-17, 12:15 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New A/C Install Question and Filter Issue?

Hi guys, thanks for your help in advance. I just had a new 1.5 ton Trane air handler and condenser installed on my 2nd floor closet space. It was just a swap out of a very old unit that was on it's last leg.

Unfortunately, the company installed the air handler, but did not include an air filter! I asked the installer and he said he didnt have one of the size. 19"x21"x1".

I immediately shut the A/C off and went to home depot and did not find that size, but found an 18"x20"x1".

Here are my questions:

1) Even though the 18"x20"x1" does not fill out the metal filter holder, it appears it covers the majority of the air going into the blower. Can I run this for a week or so until I receive 19"x21"x1" in the mail from a custom order?

2) Is it unusual for the air filter slot not to have a cover in front? My last A/C did and my one downstairs does (see pic of old A/C last picture)

3) Is it typical when the A/C is on for the air filter to in essence rise upwards from the metal slot it sits up to the blower?

4)What's the cut out and what appears to be a duct up in the ceiling?

Old 07-08-17, 12:29 PM
S
1. yes but I wouldn't run it more than a week.
2. In your case it doesn't need a cover.
3. Yes that's normal.
4. that looks like a return duct.

Old 07-08-17, 02:41 PM
J
Thank you for your thoughts. I will make sure to get the larger filter size. In my last house the return had a slot for a filter, do I need one? There's not slot for a filter up there.

I also have a downstairs A/C that does not have a filter or slot for one at the return. I do have a pet, so lots of dog fur.

Also, how is the filter size of the A/C determined? I looked at the air handler model and it did not indicate what size it would be. The metal casing's exact measurements are actually 19" wide x22" long. They sell 19" wide x 22" actual size filters, but I do not think it will fit. I could not find a filter online that was 18.75"x21.75", nor could I find a filter that was 18.75"x21". What should I do?

Last edited by jagnation22; 07-08-17 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-08-17, 05:17 PM
J
From end to end, my filter slot is exactly 19"x22". I was able to find online a 19"x22" nominal size filter, which is 18.5"x21.5". Is this an issue?

I realized I've been running my downstairs A/C for over a year with the same gap. The nominal size there is 20x22", and I've been running 19.5"x21.5" without any issues.

I always thought that was kind of the standard, but am I wrong and harming my system?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: