A/C replacement

Old 07-11-17, 07:52 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A/C replacement

My condo a/c just went out. The coils freeze up every time we turn it on. The repair man said that the coils are leaking refrigerant and that the system needs to be replaced. They say it is from 1991 and is unique so the cost is very high. They are calling around for this system, but estimate $9k-$12k! I am shocked. It is a pancake unit. Does this sound right? What are my other options if I don't want to replace it?

Old 07-12-17, 12:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,505 Votes on 1,393 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

26 years for an A/C is a good run. They weren't designed to last forever.

I'm not familiar with what's currently available in pancake unit/ceiling mounted coils but I do know they are a specialized item and are expensive to replace.

The make units called mini splits where there is an outside condensor unit and a wall mounted air handler. They are less money but not exactly inexpensive either.

The only thing I can definitely recommend is to get several prices..... even if the job must be done by an association hired company.

Old 07-12-17, 12:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
Everything takes longer when working on condos. The homeowners always ends up paying for this extra labor time. You might get a couple more proposals.

If elevators are required to get to the condo, a 2 to 5 million dollar insurance policy, and burn permits and a fire watch and the parking is a block over, it is a good idea for the contractor to factor this into the proposal.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: