Hallway Hot

Old 07-15-17, 06:43 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hallway Hot

I have a cape style home with a 1 zone central air system. I had the central air installed about 4 years ago and for the most part it works very well but the upstairs is generally always hotter. I am trying to resolve this because I have a toddler who will be moved upstairs by next summer with a new addition to the family coming soon. I want to balance the upstairs and downstairs.

The thermostat is in the hallway upstairs and during the summer days the thermostat is always reading 80-88 degrees in the hallway when the central air is cranking. Fortunately the rooms are decently cool since the installer put 2 supply trunks in each bedroom but the hallway is always hot until the sun goes down.

The return vent is by the stairs in the kneewall but it is closer to the main floor and not in the upstairs ceiling.

Would it be wise to have return vents installed in the upstairs hallway and bedrooms? Also, is it ok to install a supply vent in the hallway?

If I were to make this DIY as I consider my self very handy, is it easy to do? Off the air handler is about a 2ft wide (guesstimate) flexible trunk that goes directly to the return vent. How would I branch off of this to smaller return vents if I place them in the bedrooms/hallway? Same for the Supply vent?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-17, 07:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 267 Votes on 250 Posts
Where is the air handler.... in the attic ?

High placed returns on the second floor would definitely help the problem.

How is the attic insulation ?
It's important to keep the hot air from infiltrating thru the ceiling into the second floor.
Proper airflow thru the attic is also important to keep the attic cool.

Old 07-15-17, 07:47 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, air handler is in the attic. I have an attached 2car garage and it inbewteen the attaic space from the house to the garage.

Attic insulation is good, probably R30 or R38 above the ceiling.

I have a gable fan in the attic

Old 07-17-17, 08:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 41 Posts
Yes, returns upstairs, especially high up, would be good. Additionally, most people with multiple stories have to manipulate the airflow to each floor to balance between winter and summer if multiple zones do not also exist.