Zoned HVAC system, intermittent damper issue

Old 07-18-17, 07:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Zoned HVAC system, intermittent damper issue

I am experiencing the following issue with my system.

I have a Carrier HVAC system that supplies the second and third floor of my home. The system is approximately 4 years old. It worked without issue for the first three years of service.

The system is controlled with a Honeywell Zone control board model HZ311 and uses Honeywell 7 day programmable thermostats.

The system exhibits the following behavior. On occasion, approximately once a week the third floor does not receive airflow when the thermostat is calling. It usually occurs later in the day or early evening after the system has cycled 7 15 times. Best I can tell is that the damper does not open. I have worked with a local HVAC company who has visited my home six times without solving the problem.

To date they have replaced the zone control board twice and switched the thermostats between the second and third floor. Neither of these has eliminated the problem. They have also indicated that the damper is not obstructed.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-17, 09:23 AM
Hmmm, six times? Does the problem occur when he is there? Is there anything you do to get it working again?

Old 07-18-17, 05:13 PM
To repeat what skaggsje said, does the problem occur while they're there? Considering they replaced the controller twice and replaced both thermostats, I'd be interested in reading what they found the last 6 times they were there.

I'm not too familiar with this specific zone controller since I primarily do commercial work but one thing I'd look at when the issue does pop up is verify the thermostat is calling for cooling. Then go to the controller and verify the 24v (?) signal is being input there from the thermostat. Then verify a signal is being output to the damper actuator from the controller. Then finally going to the actuator and making sure it's getting the signal and responding accordingly. You could just go to the actuator to begin with as well.

If it worked fine the last 3 years, chances are something might be intermittently failing assuming the setup and all the settings have remained the same. If you have new thermostats and a new controller, the wiring and/or actuators might be having problems.

If you don't have it already, here is an installation guide on that controller. Might be good during some toilet time:

https://forwardthinking.honeywell.co...69_2069efs.pdf

Old 07-18-17, 07:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
You didn't mention how the three zone LED's were responding.