Looking for window A/C unit with either long cord or small width

Old 07-22-17, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Looking for window A/C unit with either long cord or small width

There are three windows in the room that I want cooled - one bigger window (~30 inches wide) and two smaller ones (~14 inches wide). All three are very tall, so the height is no issue. The room is about 230 square feet, but the ceiling is quite high (about 10 ft), so I've decided to try and get an 8000 BTU unit.

The dilemma is that the bigger window would need an 11 foot power cord to reach the nearest outlet. The smaller windows are closer to an outlet, but are not wide enough to fit most units that I've looked at.

I don't want to use an extension cord because I feel that the worry of causing an electrical fire would outweigh the benefits of having the air conditioner in the first place, and the place is a rental so I don't think I'd be allowed to have a new outlet installed. I've also considered a portable unit, but I've heard that they're generally less efficient at cooling, and I like my house to be quite cool.

So, my question is whether anyone has seen a window unit, preferably 8000 BTU, with either an 11 foot power cord, or a small enough width to accommodate a 14 inch window.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-17, 02:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 410 Votes on 385 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The A/C cords are usually shorter than on other appliances to eliminate trip hazards so you aren't likely to find one with anything over 6'.

You may find a casement window A/C that small. Most are 15" wide.
Here's one at 14-1/2" wide.

Frigidaire-FFRS0822S1-Heavy-Duty-Conditioner

Old 07-22-17, 03:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 262 Votes on 237 Posts
If you do consider a portable (non-window) AC make sure you get a model with two hoses. Their efficiency is much better but they also tend to be more expensive.