A/C not cooling

Old 07-26-17, 05:05 PM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
A/C not cooling

Our A/C unit upstairs has been having issues with cooling over the past couple of months. The unit is 2.5 tons. We have had techs come over twice (through a home warranty company), one time they added more freon, and the second time they cleaned the drain pipes. Nevertheless, the air that is coming out of the vents is marginally cooler than the air in the rooms upstairs (I do not have the equipment to check the exact temperature), and the unit cannot lower the temperature by more than 1-2 degrees, if that (even if it is set to 10 degrees lower than the room temperature). The second tech said that we cannot expect the unit to lower the temperature by more than 10-15 degrees or so compared to the air outside. Is that correct? Our unit downstairs supplies very cold air and is able to cool down. So I am just wondering whether what they are telling us is true and we simply cannot hope to be able to cool down to a normal temperature. Thanks for any input.

Old 07-26-17, 07:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,476 Votes on 1,364 Posts
Unfortunately the home warranty techs are not always the sharpest and don't dig deep enough into problems. Quick in - quick out.

I use a rule of thumb that the the inside temp usually won't go more than 20 below the outside temperature.

There are a lot of things that cause problems.....

Can we assume the second floor air handler is in the attic ?
Have you checked to see how well insulated the ducts are ?
Is the airflow strong ?
Has the filter been replaced ?
Has the system ever worked well or are you new in that house ?
Is it an older house and if yes..... how is the insulation... especially in the attic ?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: