AC compresser won't start/run

Old 08-02-17, 01:09 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AC compresser won't start/run

Having a hard time fixing a compressor that will not turn on and wanted to ask for some help. The unit worked last summer but would not this year and appears to be a mystery to anyone I speak with about it.

I first replaced the fuses and confirmed the main breaker was fine but nothing.

The fan turns and the AC works perfectly when I manually press the contactor so I first replaced that, but still nothing.

To this novice, it appears that the contactor is not getting the signal to engage so I next replaced the Cera-mite capacitor not knowing how to test whether it was working or not, but also nothing.

I next replace the ICM control mother-board-looking delay, also not knowing how to test if it was working, and still absolutely nothing.

I next replaced the capacitor which looks slightly swollen and still nothing.

Also, after doing some internet searching I confirm there is no reset button on the compressor as in other models.

At this point I've replaced all main components on the compressor and it still does not work when I turn on the AC, although it still works great when I manually press the contactor.

Finally, I replace the indoor thermostat and it still doesn't work.

At this point I am at the end of what I think I can do myself. The one last thought I have is that perhaps the single wire from the thermostat to the compressor itself that goes thru the house has been cut and the compressor is not receiving the signal to turn on? I can test this with 150' of wire but wanted to see if anyone else thought this was a possibility or had any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Mike

Old 08-02-17, 02:01 PM
Received 57 Upvotes on 48 Posts
To properly troubleshoot the problem, you'll need a multimeter. If you don't have one, you can pick up a cheap one at Harbor Freight for

Old 08-02-17, 02:12 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you! I won't be able to test this before early next week but will follow up. Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: