Failed Genteq 142R - options?

Old 08-04-17, 07:45 PM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Failed Genteq 142R - options?

Hi All,

I've got two Rheem 2.5 ton condensing units with Genteq 142R ECM fan motors. Both were installed in 6/2015 (sorry - don't have the model #s but I can look them up tomorrow). One unit is fine, the other unit's fan needs to be "jump started" with a garden hose otherwise it just rocks back and forth but never starts. It is about 90 deg outside so I got the AC unit running for the night and have the thermostat set to 68 so it will stay running until I stop it (or we lose power).

Traditionally, I would have replaced the capacitor on the unit but there appears to be no external capacitor on for the fan motor - only a 40 uF capacitor wired into the compressor.

In researching this issue, I've come to learn that the fan motor has "failed" and needs to be replaced as a unit. My unit is about 1.5 months out of the labor warranty. I'll reach out to the company that installed it to see if they'll cover it (I've given them a few jobs so they owe me) but I'm concerned about the other unit with the same motor that is still running... these motors are not cheap.

Can these silly ECM motors be replaced with PSC motors after swapping in a DR capacitor or am I stuck with this fancy technology? Are there any repair options for these motors?

Thanks!

- Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-17, 09:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 933 Votes on 870 Posts
Yes... those motors can be a problem. Some run a long time and some fail early.

If those are multi stage condensers then it may not be easy to swap in a PSC motor as you'll lose the multi speed cooling capability.

Post the model number of the condensers for us.