Intermittent Smell Won't Go Away

Old 08-05-17, 05:37 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Intermittent Smell Won't Go Away

Hello all!

I've tried everything without luck, so I'm hoping you can help.

When I first moved into my current apartment (I don't know if this is applicable or not) I noticed a consistent smell of wet cardboard. I search all over, told the apartment maintenance (who "didn't notice") and eventually it went away.

Fast forward to two months ago. A garbage type smell (not always the same, though) randomly started coming out of my AC vents. I have dumpsters that sit outside my apartment every few days but maintenance assured me that no air from outside comes in from anywhere near the dumpsters but is recirculated in my apartment. After a month of bugging them they finally came in to actually check and concluded it must be some buildup up bacteria or bad water from the hot water heater which is right below the intake of the AC unit. It seemed reasonable. A few days later, the smell was back.

I can't help but think there must be something in the vents. I bought a snake camera on amazon and will be checking them out shortly but what are your thoughts? Wouldn't something in the vents make my apartment smell bad constantly? I thought recently that maybe sometimes the vents or the AC unit heats up enough to let the smell come through. It only happens once or twice a week but I hate bringing people over because all of the sudden garbage smell will come out of my AC.

I'm also concerned this may be a health hazard.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

All help is GREATLY appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-17, 04:49 AM
Received 276 Votes on 257 Posts
Is the HVAC system contained in your apartment?

It;s possible that water has collected off the AC coil and could be causing the smell, would be more likely to occur during the cooling vs heating.

Doubt the problem would be in the ducts!

Check to see if the drain pans are plugged!

Old 08-06-17, 11:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 835 Votes on 782 Posts
Old 08-07-17, 04:22 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I honestly don't know the answer to either of your questions. The door to the hot water heater is locked.

What could I ask the maintenance to check? I hate to bother them again. I don't want to make an enemy lol. I think maybe the best thing to do would be to come up with a few things it might be and ask them to check them all at once.

Also, I don't know if this is applicable, but I've also gotten fruit flies.

To note, my apartment is super clean.

Old 08-07-17, 05:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 55 Posts
Smell could be mold or anything else. Here is a page of reading for you. this will give ammo to talk to maintenance people.
https://www.google.com/search?q=dirt...utf-8&oe=utf-8
Do not worry about making enemy's of them. That is there job.