City Electric Supply, and retail customers (non pro's?)

Old 08-20-17, 04:14 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
City Electric Supply, and retail customers (non pro's?)

Backdrop: I'm writing/submitting this Sunday at 6pm. Nowhere is open....

There happens to be a CES 5 minutes from my house that opens at 7a.m. tomorrow. And a Grainger 35 minutes from my house that opens at 7:30.

CES' website is pretty insistent that they are wholesale only, but if I show up with cash money in my pocket (It's Sunday, 6pm, nowhere is open) tomorrow morning bright and early, will they sell me the 40 uf Run Capacitor I need? Just curious if anyone knows. Thanks!

Old 08-20-17, 05:19 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Sometimes it is a matter of sales tax number. Some wholesalers are not set up to collect sales tax. They leave it up to the buyer to pay the taxing agency. You must show them your tax number to buy.

Others "protect" their primary customers by not selling to non pros. Some don't really care. I know one here that tacks on a 20% surcharge if you can not prove you are a repair person.

Old 08-20-17, 05:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,328 Upvotes on 2,987 Posts
If you go.... go in and say I need a 40 mic @ ?? voltage. They'll either go get it or ask you if you have an account. Say it's a cash sale. No harm in trying.

Old 08-20-17, 07:49 PM
And don't dress like a executive. Also if you can go in a beat up van or pickup and park it in front where they can see that is a plus.

Old 08-21-17, 03:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Upvotes on 631 Posts
My youngest son used to to work for city electric and his store would sell to most anyone. Locally we only have 1 HVAC store that stocks Goodman parts and they won't hardly let you in the door if you do't have a HVAC license or work for some one that does.... even if you just need a non refrigeration part. So a lot may depend on the local store's policy. I agree with going in acting/looking like you belong there.

Old 08-21-17, 06:24 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thanks everyone... In my case, happy ending, my local one open to public

Thanks to all who responded.

In my case, the store 5 minutes away had the part, at a fair price, and was open to the public with no problems. It sounds like results do vary by location though, based on some of the other comments. Call and ask is probably the answer. (Keep in mind, my original post was 6pm on Sunday, where there was no calling to be done.)

Problem solved, and yay, the capacitor fixed the problem in my 25 year old unit. (A couple responders here know I have another different thread, about the other unit in my house.)

Thanks again.

Old 08-21-17, 07:36 AM
And sometimes you get a sales person with a god complex. Once had an associate at BigBox tell me an item I wanted was for pros only not me. I was driving a truck filled with tools and had a paying customer waiting.

P.S. it was an interior door threshold. #shakes head.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: