Two-level garage workshop - how to place wall unit to do both levels

Old 08-21-17, 01:26 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Two-level garage workshop - how to place wall unit to do both levels

Two-level garage workshop - how to place wall unit to do both levels:
So, I divided my two car garage into a one car (on one side) workshop space. I put in a dividing wall, insulated all walls, and did the same for the attic above the garage (insulated). The garage is 22' X 22', so my 1st floor workshop is 11' X 22' and then i have a stairway upstairs which is the size of the whole garage. The 'hole' for the stairway is against the backwall. I've also cut an opening for a lift that is about 5' off the back wall and makes a hole about15" X 55". This hole is in the floor of the attic and obviously the ceiling of my workshop.
I would like to use a wall unit, 18,000 btu cooling, in such a way as to cool both the ground floor and the attic. So I'm wondering if the wall unit was placed so that its airflow was just inches (?) above the attic floor coming from the back wall, if the colder air would naturally flow to the hole in the floor and the drop into my workshop to be pushed around by the ventilation fans down there giving me some cooling upstairs but for sure downstairs?
Or is this just nuts and I should just install for the first floor and get another unit for upstairs?
Thanks for advice, comments, etc.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-17, 01:39 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 622 Votes on 575 Posts
Where are you located? Your air conditioning needs will depend on where you are located.

How cool do you want to keep the upstairs and downstairs garage? Are you looking at holding a temp 30f below the outside temp or do you just want to take the edge off and cut the humidity?

Old 08-21-17, 04:22 PM
R
I'm in northern Ohio. Ideally the temp would be able to be kept stable and below say 80f so that paint, solvents and wood could be safe and stable.

Old 08-22-17, 03:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
What would help you come up with a solution is how the ac relates to how much cooling capacity the space needs.
If that 18k btu ac has the capacity to cool 2 levels then you could get somehow get the cold air to the second level.....otherwise you are wasting your time and should get a second unit.

A reasonable method of trying to cool the second level with only one ac is to place the unit to cool the main level and then fashion some type of fan to move the air between the spaces.

Keep in mind that that setting up a fan to move the air between two spaces is not too good in a situation if a fire were to occur.

Old 08-22-17, 06:47 AM
R
All the tables I have seen for cooling a space up to 600 sq feet in my region seem to be putting the need at 14-16,000 btu.
I'm now considering using a gable exhaust fan in the attic portion, allowing the cooler air below to be sucked up through the holes of the stairway and lift, installing the air unit on the 1st floor. The gable fan I have is thermostat controlled so would not necessarily throw my cooled air out the vent non-stop.