Portable Soleus A/C: weak performance

Old 08-20-17, 11:46 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Portable Soleus A/C: weak performance

We've had a Soleus KY-80 for about five years now and it has been a great unit u til the past couple of days.

A few nights ago in the middle of the night, there were two different times when it sounded like a large amount of water was draining, which we had never noticed. After the second time the unit began to sound odd, which I think was/is the compressor. Since then both the AC and Dehumidifier settings barely make a dent.

When in AC mode, the exiting air feels cold at the bottom half of the vent and room temp at the top. The compressor seems to kick on and off significantly more than before, especially since it never hits the temp.

The Dehumidifier setting basically doesn't do anything except act like a fan.

I took the unit apart the other night to clean it. The filters weren't bad, but the inside was pretty well caked with dust. Since, the air flow is better, but it still operates the same.

Any help? I'm trying not to buy another unit ...

Old 08-20-17, 11:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Since the compressor is running and there is no cold..... it would appear that the refrigerant may have all leaked out. These units.... along with dehumidifiers.... seem to die at the five year point. Many members have told us about their appliances failing very close to the five year point.

With the unit open..... feel the compressor..... it should be very hot. The larger copper line coming from the compressor should be very cold and the smaller one should be very hot. If they both feel about the same.... warm..... you've lost the charge.

Old 09-19-17, 05:42 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It took me awhile but I finally got around to it.

So the compressor is extremely hot (205 w/laser) as is the small copper line coming I to it. The larger copper line is cool, about 70.

However, some of the coils frosted over, but at the opposite end of where they are fed. And the frost creeps up extremely slowly, like one coil run every 15 minutes Photo at https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxk...w?usp=drivesdk

Another note, the compressor has stayed on the entire time it's been open, about 35 minutes. It kicks on and off repeatedly when the until is closed up.

I assume the unit lost most of the charge?

Last edited by cpevansosu; 09-19-17 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-19-17, 10:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
It may have not lost it all yet..... but it will.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: