Goodman AC Compressor Not Starting

Old 10-09-17, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Goodman AC Compressor Not Starting

Hi all. My 5-year-old (just outside of warranty) Goodman compressor is not starting. The compressor fan runs, but the compressor isn't. It was fine until just a couple of hours ago when I noticed it was getting warm upstairs. I had noticed that the lights would flicker intermittently but didn't think much of it. Well it turns out it must have been because of the compressor trying to start. I went down to the basement to shut the breaker off for the compressor and heard an electrical buzz from the draw of it trying to start for 1-2 seconds then it gave up. I killed the breaker so as not to overheat it.

I looked up the parts and It has a "dual run" capacitor that feeds both the fan (which is working) and the compressor (which is not working). Can a dual run capacitor fail in such a way that the condenser fan will work but the compressor will not? If the answer is yes, I'm going to start with replacing the capacitor. If not then I guess I have bigger problems.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-17, 12:13 PM
The answer is YES one side can fail.

Old 10-09-17, 01:48 PM
I think I found the smoking gun. Not sure the capacitor is bad, but evidently there was a lot of resistance at that terminal. I ordered one anyway.

Attached Images   
Old 10-10-17, 01:39 PM
I replaced the capacitor though I'm not sure it was really bad. The blade connectors had corroded and basically fell apart, causing the resistance and heat that melted the compressor wire. When I removed the others they fell apart as well. New connectors and capacitor fixed it right up!

Old 10-10-17, 03:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
It is imperative that slide on connectors fit tightly. If you found any others loose..... tighten them now.