Securing vent in open window

Old 12-23-17, 04:15 PM
Securing vent in open window

Hello. I have a piece of plywood I placed in an open window (open the window, plywood in the plane of the window opening, and closed the window on the plywood to secure). I have a hole cut on the plywood with a duct passing through. This is to vent warm air outside. However, I would like to make my window secure from intruders.

I purchased some items to secure the window from opening further. This works just fine. But I have to believe an intruder can simply pull the bottom of the plywood out to remove it from the window opening. Is there anything, such as a metal latch or "hook" I can set the plywood piece in, that can be secured by a screw on the inside of the window to prevent the possibility of an intruder pulling the piece of plywood out from the bottom?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-17, 04:34 PM
Upvotes Received: 26
What kind of vent is this? For a portable air conditioner?

Old 12-24-17, 08:25 AM
Upvotes Received: 40
You need to secure the plywood to the window sill or framing. That means drilling holes or attaching brackets. If this is a rental then I suggest you contact your landlord first before making any changes. I had a similar situation many years ago. I bought a clothes dryer for an upper apartment. I asked landlord if I could vent out the window without any damage or alteration to the building. Much to my surprise he wanted me to actually put a hole through the wall. I told him that would not be a good idea but I would make a window insert instead.

Old 12-24-17, 09:35 AM
Thanks. If I secure it to the window sill or framing, wouldn't that have to be done on the outside? I'd like a solution where the fastening is done on the inside, so no one can remove them from the outside. Any "bracket" solutions?

I own the home. So no worries on options. I would rather do something less damaging, though. If I can get brackets that secure to the window sill on the inside, that would be fine.

Old 12-24-17, 09:40 AM
Something like this... brackets that the bottom of the plywood can sit in. Then, I can drill holes and insert screws where the red arrows are (into the inside window sill).

Attached Images  
Old 12-24-17, 11:36 AM
Upvotes Received: 40
Sure. That looks good to me. I would use angle iron for the brackets.
I'm sure with a little more imagination you or others could come up with alternative ideas.