Rheem heating problem

Old 01-06-18, 08:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rheem heating problem

I have a Rheem 2 ton Central Heating and Cooling unit that is about 2 1/2 years old. We are having cold weather here in central Florida where I live, we keep the thermostat set at 60 overnight and then turn on the heat in the morning. I usually set it to 72 then, well this morning it took an hour and a half for the inside temp. to go from 60 to 72. It seems to take the heat about 5 minutes to get warm, not hot when it first starts up. I just don't think it should take that long, for that or for the temp. to warm the house. Before I call a tech out is there anything I can check in the attic where the heating part is located? Any help will be appreciated.

Fritoguy15

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-18, 08:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 475 Votes on 445 Posts
If you have a heat pump system...... that is exactly the way it performs and is perfectly normal. A heat pump is a slow recovery system and should not be set back.... especially in cold weather.

Most heat pump systems have back up electric heat that comes on to aid the heat pump if the temperature inside drops more than 3f from the set point. I've noticed most members located in Florida don't have additional electric coils.

Old 01-06-18, 08:35 AM
Pete, this unit doesn't have a heat pump. Just a heating coil in the attic part.

Fritoguy15

Old 01-06-18, 08:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 475 Votes on 445 Posts
So you have an electric furnace. An electric furnace is 100% efficient but costly to run. Your systems heating ability is strictly governed by the size of the heating coils. This also is not a very fast recovery system.

Is this the first time you've tried to raise the temperature that much in this cold weather ?
There can be several heating coils making up the heat strip. It is possible that one coil may not be working.

Old 01-06-18, 09:33 AM
Yes this is the first time, I saw the installer put in the heating coil and I'm pretty sure it was just one coil spiral shaped. We had some trouble with the installer so it wouldn't surprise me if he put in a coil that either wasn't correct or maybe not big enough to do the house. We have 1100 sq.ft.. under roof.

Fritoguy15