goodman package unit freezing up mostly at night uses 410A

Old 02-26-18, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
goodman package unit freezing up mostly at night uses 410A

I have had service techs here 2 x with the installing company and 3x with a new company the unit was installed in june 2015 a 14 seer first techs said that unti worked fine and did not say anything accept to keep filter changed 2 months later with same problem told the duct work was bad. 6 months later I have new ducts for the unit had the unit cleaned and freon checked . All inside vents were also done so that air flow from inside should be fine. Now new tech says a blockage in the liquid line and says I need new compressor and probably a new evap coil. I am down $1870 dollars now and do not know what to believe. It freezes up when the air has run all day just fine and quits at night freezes from evap coil all the way to compressor. gages were high side fluctuating between 200 and 500 and compressor would grind( tho haven't heard that lately)and coil would not go above 20 degrees F any ideas?I am retired with limited resources .

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-18, 08:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Per the DIY administration... we don't discuss charging and refrigerant pressure issues on this board.

I'm a little baffled. This is a 2-1/2 years old unit. Have you checked the warranty status on it. The sealed system should be at least five years. If you post the model number I can check further.

Old 02-27-18, 04:25 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
its freezing when its cooler out? Duct issue are charge issue. Can you tell us the model number and the size of return and supply duct?

Old 03-05-18, 04:40 PM
I apologize did not understand about pressures not being discussed. It is 2 1/2 yrs old and Goodman tells me the parts are still under warranty and to contact a dealer Goodman dealer from their list which I have and they will be here on Wed. I just hate spending more and more to fix the same issue and now my heat won't work any more either . as for the model it is a GPC1436H41DC serial # 1506714774 and the company that installed the unit decided they do not work on mobile home units any more and suggested I get someone else to come look at it. I just know that when it is hot in the day time it will cool the house fine and then in the evening it freezes up and now as I said the heat is not working either. This has been like this since last July when I called techs the first time and they said the filter was dirty again in August and told the ducts were not correct. I had to wait til this year and before dead of summer called techs from another company who ended up replacing my ducts(which definitely needed changing). Now the thought is a TMZ or something like that?? I just dont know hoping this company can fix

Old 03-05-18, 04:44 PM
model GPC1436H41DC serial # 1506714774 14 seer 3 ton I think and yes freezing at night when the temp is actually cooler I am in north central Fl weather here is a bit fickle. cold at night warm in day this time of year . It is a package unit. the return duct is 14"

Old 03-05-18, 06:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
No problem on the minor pressure discussion.

What's the approx outside temp when the unit ices up ?

Good info in the manual.... service manual/download/file_id/2611/

Old 03-05-18, 06:47 PM
Received 33 Votes on 30 Posts
You say the return is 14”. Is that 14” flex, 14” round metal, 14” square metal?

Old 03-06-18, 06:00 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
You are under sized on return no mater if it is flex or metal. flex should be 18in, metal should be 16in

Old 03-11-18, 09:57 AM
What type & size return-air filter are you using?
Most filter's are too small & of the wrong type causing very low airflow due to excessive fpm velocities...

I need Techs to check new clean RA filter fpm velocities, starting with a popularly used 16X25 filter of various types so we can divide the velocity in fpm into the CFM flow volume to get the filters Ak (open air area).. Example; 800-CFM / 250-fpm = 3.2-Ak. Most filter areas are way undersized as is a lot of duct systems leading to very poor performance in both heating & cooling modes... Publish the results here, this is very important...! Thank you, Darrell AKA ' udarrell '

Old 04-09-18, 06:24 PM
He did not install a large enough Return-Air flex duct, it needs a 20" Flex duct at .05 friction Rate (FR) for 1348-CFM, need at least 1200-CFM.

A 14" flex duct at .05 FR only flows 525-CFM at 491-fpm velocity.
Most systems have undersized RA ducts & filter areas... what a shame...!

Old 04-09-18, 07:26 PM
You see that combo of 3 ton and 14" round used a lot on mobile homes. It is not ideal but typically is not a issue. Airflow is key so use a simple green nonrestrictive filter in the return and keep it changed regularly. I did not look this particular unit up but if it utilizes a TXV valve to control refrigerant flow instead of a fixed orfice there were a bunch of TXV problems due to copeland compressors having a rust inhibitive coating sprayed on the inside of the compressor shell which contaminates the TXV valves (makes a goo). Might get your service guy to check the compressor tag numbers and make sure this is not one that has the bad rust inhibitor and you have a stuck TXV valve? Not sure what sg ft area that you are cooling but if you replace the unit you might want to downsize to a 2 ton if that better fits your requirements which can use a smaller duct size more efficiently. Good luck