Can you mix different brand of heater and A/C in a split system

Old 04-09-18, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can you mix different brand of heater and A/C in a split system

I have Trane heater where the air blower is, and right on top of the Trane heater is the evaporator coil. Trane heater runs on gas, and Trane A/C is electrical. So this is a split system. Is it safe to mix Trane heater with another brand of A/C such as Goodman, Bryant or Armstrong? One contractor said it will like mixing a Toyota part with Ford part so it will not be good.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-18, 01:37 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Its best practice to use a matched system. Indoor and outdoor are made for each other. Saying that you can mix them. You may not get a warranty and you may not get the rates SEER but it will work. IMO Id stay away from the lower end units because they typically come with not the greatest install which will cost you more on energy and repairs.

Old 04-09-18, 01:53 PM
Well both the outdoor AC unit and the indoor unit will be the same brand, but the gas heater is a different brand. Is that advisable or should I think again?

Old 04-09-18, 01:59 PM
Received 11 Votes on 8 Posts
My system has a Bryant (Carrier) split A/C and a York high efficiency furnace. As airman stated, it's best to use the same brand for both the compressor/condenser (outside unit) and evaporator coil (inside house). However, the air handler (furnace in your case) can be any brand.

Old 04-09-18, 02:02 PM
Yes, that's what I wanted to get an opinion about. Indoor evap coil and outdoor condenser unit will be the same brand, but the indoor gas furnace is a different brand.

Old 04-09-18, 02:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 327 Votes on 306 Posts
Usually they are matched by brand but different A/C brands are installed all the time in furnace upgrades. My furnace is a Luxaire with a Rheem split A/C.

It requires a good installer to get the coil mounting correct.

Old 04-09-18, 07:33 PM
Not a problem at all the evap coil and condenser outside just need to match. The furnace brand makes little to no difference as long as the installer properly transitions the different casing sizes. Make sure your guy inspects the gas furnace HX (heat exchanger) not sure how old yours is but they can be cracked and the furnace might need to be swapped out to?