condensate drain issues

Old 05-04-18, 03:06 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
condensate drain issues

I just bought a 2nd floor apartment and was told by the first floor neighbor that my Carrier FB4ANF030 system was leaking.

The Carrier HVAC is installed next to the bath room. The condensate water is connected to the shower drain on the right side. By looking at the system, I found there are two potential issues there:

1. the vent was sealed, that means there is no vent. should I drill a hole on the cap?

2. the secondary drain is not in use. should I start use the secondary drain and connect it to the same shower drain?

Attached Images   
Old 05-04-18, 03:14 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I have never seen a condensate drain line vented so I'd say leave the cap alone. It's likely there so you can snake out the trap in case it becomes clogged. No I wouldn't bother hooking up the second drain connection. Most of the time I see clogs in the drain line. Usually in the trap.

Old 05-04-18, 03:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Lots of issues there. With the unit on the second floor a leak is inevitable. Whether it happens today or next year.

There should be an overflow pan under the unit,.
There should be a safety float switch installed in the secondary drain port to shut the system down in case of primary drain clog.

That cap is there to allow you to check and see if the line is full of water and to pour some bleach down to clean the drain line. Remove the cover.... is there water in there ? There shouldn't be.
The trap should have water in it but the line to the air handler should be empty.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: