AC capacitor. Did I buy the wrong spare?

Old 05-12-18, 08:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC capacitor. Did I buy the wrong spare?

Hello. About 4 months ago one of the run cacpacitors went bad (a 10uf) and I paid $300 to replace it, cause I could not get one locally. So I bought a spare to have around. The Lenox Parts Rep says the run capacitor is one dual capacitor 45 + 4 uf. Although the paper work says 50 + 5uF. But on the existing unit there is a 40 +5 dual capacitor piggy backed to a 10uf capacitor. Is the 10uf capapacitor something that a tech might add, if the 5 uf cacapcitor on the dual went bad. Or something added to help a older unit. I hesitate to say that cause there is a strap holding the two capacitors together that looks like it came with the unit.
The parts rep said he talked to the lenox MFG and gave them the sn of the unit to be sure I was getting the right parts. They said one dual run capacitor
Will the one spare 45 + 4uf replace both capapcitors (40 +5 and 10uf) that are piggy backed together?

I guess the only way to be sure and ready would be to buy the 10uf capacitor to have on hand in case the dual they gave me does replace both existing capacitors. especially since the last time they only replaced the 10UF capacitor. So I am thinking I bought the wrongs ones.

I always thought the start capacitor is the one that normally goes first.

This a a Lenox HS26-036-3P.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-18, 12:20 PM
The tech added a 10UF cap to make it a 50UF cap.
I found that AC takes 50UF/5UF duel cap.

Last edited by skaggsje; 05-12-18 at 12:37 PM. Reason: correction
Old 05-13-18, 01:13 PM
Thanks
That makes sense. That a extra cap would help.
apparently the run cap also helps starting cause it woould not start without that extra 10uf.