Moisture and Mold on Blower Housing

Old 05-17-18, 02:25 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Moisture and Mold on Blower Housing

5-year old Goodman ARUF303016CA 2.5 ton air handler, vertical up-flow installation, moisture and mold growth on blower housing, motor, and wires above coil. Fan speed on lowest setting. What could cause this? Heat pump is 15 years old and likely under performing. Maybe the coil isn't getting cold enough to remove all the humidity? It does feel a little humid in my house. At what temperature should the coil be operating? Is measuring it with an IR thermometer accurate enough, or do I need to measure the incoming and outgoing air temperature to get a differential?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-18, 02:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
Why is it there? Because it never gets cleaned and maintained and the filter has probably allowed some dust to accumulate over the years. And a coil never removes "all the humidity". A dirty coil does a poor job of removing moisture from the air. Everything needs maintenance.

Old 05-18-18, 08:07 AM
I guess my main my concern is not the mold (I realize why it is there), but rather the condensation on the blower motor and other surrounding areas. If the fan speed is on low, how are water droplets collecting on surfaces above the coil?

Any recommendations on a coil cleaner/disinfectant and a mold inhibitor to use after?

Found this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Web-AC-F...WACF/202319836

Last edited by mossman; 05-18-18 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-18-18, 01:34 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Because you aren't moving enough Air and or the RH in the space is high. Speed the blower up and check the RH in the space. Make sure the drain is draining.

Old 05-19-18, 12:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
I agree with Airman.

While running a low blower speed can give you lower humidity in the house, it can also result in sweating air handlers and sweating ductwork.

Old 05-20-18, 04:15 PM
Okay. I'll try speeding up the blower. I'll be cleaning the coil as well even though it looks pretty clean.