No condensation from AC unit?

Old 05-20-18, 03:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 18 Votes on 17 Posts
No condensation from AC unit?

I'm convinced that our unit, air to air heat pump and AC combined, is not making condensation even though it is cooling the house. I've opened up the air handler in the basement and vacuumed the coils/fins (they needed it) and made sure the drain hose is open. It's a short length of water hose that goes to a condensate pump which goes to basement sink. When I put water in the pump manually it works fine. It doesn't run otherwise and in past years it would run a lot. No pooling of water inside air handler or on the floor outside. It does feel a bit humid to us inside but I don't have a guage to check that. Otherwise, it is cooling nicely.

Thank you all in advance for your ideas.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-18, 04:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 344 Votes on 322 Posts
If it is actually cooling then condensation must be present. The amount of condensation depends on the humidity level. I ran mine last week for the little heat spell we had. I didn't get much condensation then

Old 05-30-18, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can buy a low cost humidity gauge most anywhere; every home needs one, get one...!
If it feels humid it should be condensing moisture; there is probably a problem that needs addressing.