Mismatched system....is it really that bad?

Old 05-27-18, 06:35 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mismatched system....is it really that bad?

My parents have a ranch style house with a 3.5 ton, 13 seer heat pump (R22). The house was built new ten years ago. The condenser coil has developed an unrepairable leak and needs replaced. The issue is now that the installer sold them a possible stolen unit. All the identification numbers are removed. There are no tags on it anywhere. The company that did the work is no longer in business. We are being told there is no way to match parts up without having the exact serial number and model number. Also being told that a Carrier or Tappan unit will interchange, but nothing else. Is this really the case? I can buy a Trane unit today, but there's no point if it won't work I know eventually we will have to do a 410a change over, but they can't afford a $4k+ repair right now. So, is there any way to either find the numbers on the existing pump, or can we mismatch (with possible reduced efficiency), or do I have to find one of the three brands? Thank you for your help

Old 05-27-18, 09:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
You had a tech come and look at ?
What did he recommend as the replacement ?
What was the price ?

Without a make and model of the condenser we'd be guessing at a replacement.
The make and model of the air handler would work unless that's missing too in which case you are pretty much at the tech's discretion or replace both units.

I wouldn't patch a 10 year old system.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: