Clean evaporator colis

Old 05-27-18, 08:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Clean evaporator colis

I just moved into a home built in 2002. Just finished a bunch of PM work on the 2 AC units and furnaces. Replace both AC fans motors (one was failing and the other was marginal) capacitors and contactors. Both of the furnace vnrter fans were starting to make noise so I replaced those as well.
There aer a couple of other porjects I was considering doing.
1. Lubricate the bearings on the furnace blowers. They are both a little noisier tkhan they should be. The one in the basement I barely notice but the one in the attic is close to the master bedroom. Seems like this would be relatively straightforward to do.
2. Clean the evaporator coils. After 17 years, i am sure the coils are quite dirty. I think alot of air was flowing past the air filter. I thi k i have fixed the air filter issue but wondering what the impact would be on the coils. Both furnaces are upflow with a frame coils but the whole thing is well sealed and i would haave to remove some of it to get access to the cover.

Are either of these worth doing as a PM?. I travel a far amount and would hate to have a problem when I am not at home to help get it fixed.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-18, 08:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 345 Votes on 323 Posts
Most blowers use a direct drive motor and they have sealed bearings.
No real way to lubricate them.

A good test with a blower is to try to lift the blower wheel up. See if there is excessive upwards movement. If there is.... the bearing is probably worn necessitating a motor replacement.

As far as cleaning the coils.... it's not a mandatory cleaning item and on many furnaces it can be almost impossible to get to. If you have good airflow out of the registers it probably is fine.

Old 05-27-18, 10:05 PM
Thanks PJmax. Comments are much appreciated. In my old home, i was able to get to the coils and used one of the foaming cleaners. Seemed to work well. No easy way to get to coils on current furnace. Air flow seems to be ok.

The only obvious issue i have is that the second floor AC has trouble keeping up in summer. I had the system checked out a few weeks ago and charge and general system performance seemed to work well. Done all of the pm. Didn't expect to see performance change. 2nd floor is still struggling to keep up (Atlanta).
wondering what else i might be able to try short of replacement. AC unit for first floor can keep up well. Heat pump in basement doesn't work enough to know either way.

Old 05-28-18, 11:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 345 Votes on 323 Posts
There is always a problem with the second floor. Things like fully insulated ducts are important as they usually run thru a hot attic. Leaks on the return side of the system is a killer. There should be a return in every room removing the heat but is very rarely done.

Old 05-29-18, 08:14 PM
Thanks. I will switch focus to ducting in attic. I do have several returns but have not inspected the flexible ductwork. What is the bezt way to inspect? IR camera