clean evaporator coils

Old 05-31-18, 03:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question clean evaporator coils

I check my A/C quarterly and have a tune up done yearly. Just had my tune up and there is mold on my evaporator coils. How do I clean myself? I have been quoted $899 for a removal and clean of horizontal coils and I just cannot afford that. They also recommended I get a UV light for $750 and a whole new air purifying system for $2000. I teach children, I don't have this kind of money, but I can fix things if I get directions. The unit is 6 years old and the evaporator and cooler is in the garage.

Clean the cols myself?
Should I purchase a new evaporator?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-18, 06:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
6 years is a short time to grow mold on the coil.
The most likely cause for this growth would be a air leak in the return air duct.
The cause should be addressed to help prevent this from becoming an issue every 6 years.

Did they show you this organic growth?
Cleaning a horizontal coil can be tough unless a pump down and removal is performed because access is terrible to the inlet side of the coil. You can only see the outlet side when you remove the panel...

Do you have a 110 volt outlet near the furnace that you can plug a UV light into?
Do you own a drill?
Do you have a sheet metal supply air plenum above your horizontal evaporator coil?

Installing a UV lamp takes me about 10 minutes.
I bought a drill bit the same size as the UV lamp requires ,something like 2" for my Carrier lamps.

Amazon has some Honeywell options that have replacement bulbs for a reasonable price.

https://customer.honeywell.com/resou...0s/68-0248.pdf

Never look into the light of a UV bulb.

Last edited by Houston204; 05-31-18 at 07:12 AM.